Kona Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshay

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am about to brew a typical stout, but I was planning on making it a java stout and add some kona coffee to it.

My thoughts were to get an amount of water and place some crushed kona coffee grains into a tied up coffee filter and throw it in the water. Let it set for 2 to 3 days in the fridge and then add it to my secondary.

My questions are, how much water/coffee to you belive I should add and how long should I leave the coffee in the secondary for?

I would like a good amount of coffee flavor in the beer, I love coffee :mug:

Thanks for any help,

Dakota

Start small, so one ounce for us DD coffee drinkers, but if you like coffee I'd say start at four ounces and find your way from there. Take that with a grain of salt, because I/we don't know what kind of malts are involved with your stout. More info would be great in helping us give recommendations. The cold press method is the way to go, so you're good there.

Four cups of espresso at bottling or kegging. I like coffee so for me this method makes an amazing coffee stout.

Be careful, 100% Kona coffee can be pretty bitter. Most of the time you get it here brewed as a 10% blend.

Thanks guys. I was going to do a dual brew day with one of my buddies and we are just going to do an extract stout from NorthernBrewer. Sounds like I should add to much of the coffee into it, do not want to ruin it for my friend.

So how long should I leave it in secondary if I take that route? Or do most of you simply add it to the bottling process?

Thanks for all the information it helps!

Dakota

Back