How can i fix my keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaevaVeritas

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I recently bought a keggle from another member. The top had already been cut off and I added the ports for valves and thermo. Who ever cut off the top took too much and the edge is the same diameter as the outer lip. This means my lid will sit on top of the keg and steam will leak out through the handles and if I get a smaller lid it will not sit on the cut edge and fall in.

Any ideas for constructing a lid that I can get past the lip and sit on the cut edge here is a pic for reference

image-1247708687.jpg

If they truely are the same size diameter you will not beable to get a one piece lid to fit, as a circle cannot fit through its own hole. That is why sewer caps are round. You can either make a 2 piecelid, folding lid, flexible lid, Or add tabs to the kettle and get a lid that is slightly to small.

You could cut the top skirt off, leaving only the handles. Then slide an appropriate sized (either DIY lid or find a large diameter pot at a thrift store) lid on top of the opening. Here's what I mean about the skirt:

5031-keggle-lid.jpg

Taken from this forum. The downside to this cut is that it makes it difficult to stand the keg upside down for drying.

I like the reflectex idea since I plan to insulate with that soon!

Unfortunately I do not have an angle grinder to cut off the outer rim...

What about getting a lid that fits just inside the keg and then attaching something to it that will catch on the lip of the keg. The lid would hang from the lip of the keg and should keep most steam from sneaking out, depending on how big of a lid you can get that will still fit in the keg. I didn't explain this well but hopefully you understand...Kinda like one of those over the door hangers but instead of having a hook for a towel, it would be parallel to the floor and the lid would sit on it (I would permanently attach it).

Get some 3/8" or 1/2" ID silicone tubing, slit it down one side and run it around the inside edge of the hole. Hopefully you'll be able to get a lid that will work with that new hole size. If you need ti decrease the hole more rather than less, you can set the tubing so that it's not tight to the inside edge of the opening. I did this on mine more to form a better seal with the lid than anything else. Since I only needed a small change i went with 3/8" ID tubing.

I would also measure the current opening and see what's the closest lid size you can get. Use that to guide you towards the tubing size to use. I would also use the white tubing not the off-white since its more flexible and easier to work with.

SaevaVeritas said:
Any one use foam to decrease head space? If so how do you get it in there w/o dunking it in your mash?

I cover it in foil and don't worry about it.

Back