amount of yeast needed for lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brounds24

Reaction score
I have a five gallon batch of bock beer brewing now and i only have 1 11.5 g dry yeast packet. I thought i had 2 (stupid me didn't check). my beers gravity is expected to be1.060. Will one pack be enough.

I guess it depends on how healthy the yeast was and how it was pitched regarding temperature, aeration, rehydration etc. you know, all the things we can do to help the yeast make beer.
It probably will be all right.

Unless you run out and get another,then thats all you can do.It will be fine but i would get another. I wouldnt stress about it though if you dont get more.

With one package I would start off relatively warm. It also can depend quite a bit on what strain you have (you should have said in the first post). For example, if you have one pack of S-23, you may be okay just pitching in the mid-50s and letting 'er rip, since it performs very well at that temperature. If instead it's W-34/70, which normally you could really push to the lower end of the temperature range, I'd go warmer (50 at least) just to be safe.

Either way--be sure to rehydrate! If there's a way you can get a second pack added, try to do that.

Are you fermenting that around 55 then? that seems a high temp to pitch @70. I think i pitched my s-23 lager @60 or below and fermented @50-55.

It can work. Rehydrated in water you can get over 20 billion cells per gram. So you would pitch around 12 million cells per milliliter. It should get the job done eventually. I've found that yeast to work well at that rate in 1.050 beer.

One trick you might be able to do is pitch the yeast in half the batch then in 2-6 hours add the rest of the batch. Big breweries do that all the time. Don't pitch it warm.

Back