first blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
I just had my first blowoff. I really should hav known better than to pitch 6 gallons on a huge WLP001 yeast cake. :eek: anyway, i dont know how long it has uncovered but wen i woke up the lid was open and i made a quick blowoff tube. its bubbling in the bucket now. if its still fermenting is ther ne chance it got infected? by the way its orfy's hobgoblin clone which was the most delicious wort i hav ever had.:D

sure theres a chance it was infected, but if its offgassing real hard now that probably kept more of the creepies out. Co2 is heavier than air, so that forces the atmosphere out...

thats wat i was thinking but i worry sometimes. right after i posted i thought i will just relax and hav a homebrew and tahts wat i did:mug:

also i have heard people say that they reboiled to foam and put it back in the beer. if i dont do that will it just be less beer(which is ok) or will it b weak or watery(not ok)?

grrtt78 said:
also i have heard people say that they reboiled to foam and put it back in the beer. if i dont do that will it just be less beer(which is ok) or will it b weak or watery(not ok)?
I've never hear that, and I'd be very very hesitant to do it. Seal up the beer and let it do it's thing......check it in a few weeks for gravity and weird tastes. It will most likely be absolutely fine.

btw congrats on "your first blowoff" teeheeehee. ;)

how about this... ive had an air lock blow clean off the top of a primary before and sit for two days during log period uncapped. I found the mess, cleaned it up, and it was fine. Once you have a real active yeast colony growing in your beer, its hard for the nasties to get in there to take hold. I would say worst worst worst case senario is you get mold on the beer when you open it up next time, but thats slim possibility. Even if its got mold, you can rack off it and its still good... no joke. You just have to change the name to "spore ale"... or possibly "funkaswill"

Back