To Force Carb or Not To Force carb, under time constraints

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootsyFlanootsy

Reaction score
I've got an AK ale based on a historical recipe I found on the Shut Up about Barclay Perkins site.

Made it last night for a friends wedding on the 21st. Wanted to make it sooner, but life got in the way. I've made this ale before and had it kegged and tapped in under a week and a half, ( low gravity... 4% or so),.

thing is, this time around, my efficiency was way better than usual, ( probably due to pH adjustments in the mash), and as it stands I'm looking at 6% as an FG.

I feel like an ABV like that will need a lil more time to condition, but I wanted to keg this and start Carbing it by this time next week, ( co2, not priming),.

So I guess I'm just trying to see if anyone wants to weigh in and say if they'd rather:

A) let it condition longer and force carb a couple of days in advance

OR

B) provided I've hit my FG in a week, transfer and carb as usual.

I'd prefer to do the latter, tho I'm thinking it wise to start thinking about potentially having to clarify the ale if I do so.

I'd choose option B. If you are concerned about clarity, you can add some gelatin directly to the keg, then draw off a pint or two the morning of the wedding before you deliver the bill. Otherwise, letting it condition in the keg and carbonate as usual.

Back