Masterbuilt turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RadicalEd said:
Has anybody used this before? The main reason I ask is because it has a faucet for draining at the bottom of the kettle, and at $60 retail it's certainly a lot cheaper than getting somebody to weld up a pot ;).

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07113259000P?vName=Gifts&keyword=turkey+fryer&sLevel=0

I bought one of these and returned it for two reasons. The base caught on fire. I'm sure once the paint burned off it would have been fine, but I didn't have a lot of interest in finding out. You would need a dip tube in order to get all the wort out and I couldn't figure out how to attach one. The spigot is at least an inch off the bottom of the pot.

my KAB5 burned all the paint off it too...but i still kept it. hell one leg is bent too, but you can't turn away from 125,000 btu's.

an inch is a bit of deadspace...then again it also gets you up off all the hotbreak and hop trub in the kettle.

worst case scenario, you use it as a HLT and buy another brewpot that's better...thicker/sturdier walls and a better drain that's really low.

I have a burner from a different turkey set up, but I got this pot for my turkeys (and chickens, and all the other junk I cook up in there). It drains oil real well, real fast, and once the level drops below the faucet, I just tilt the pot and get the rest out, and it leaves all the sludge at the bottom. Since it is ok to pour your kettle into the fermenter, I would assume that it is ok to tilt it a little as well, and if the turkey crud stays on the bottom of the pot, I think it is safe to say that any brew gunk will stay there as well. If you really wanted to get nutty about it you could probably poke some steel wool into the faucet hole to act as a filter.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm pretty tempted to get one if I can find it for cheap. Dave, your process for draining is pretty much what I had in mind; if I couldn't get all of the fluid out, then at the least I can get it down to just a couple of inches, which will be a lot easy to pour out/tilt the pot with than if full.

Lukus: It's an Alu pot.

Lukus said:
Is the pot made of aluminum or steel?

FYI, doesn't really matter. SS is more durable, but if you take care of aluminum it works great too.

I've been using one for a couple years now and have had no problems. I tilt the pot to get the last of the boil out and the drain hasn't leaked at all. It is also a nice strong pot.
I can do batches 5gal batches easy but am going to need a bigger one as I'm trying to move toward AG. Might be something to think about if you see yourself going to AG in the near future.

Oh man I feel stupid now. The entire point of me getting a bigger kettle is to go AG, and I (of course) forgot that the boil volume is significantly higher than the post boil volume, so more like 8-9 gal pot is needed. Dang! Well I'll keep searching for a decent pot. If you guys have any suggestions, I'm more than open to them (since the thread's open anyway).

I got my brewpot on ebay, unfortunately that seller doesn't have any more listed at the moment.

oddly, its the only ebay purchase I ever made.

If you are just looking for a brew pot and don't want to use a keg, look for a local resteraunt supplier. I bought my ten gallon pot at one and it was fairly cheap.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. There's a GFS a few miles away, I may make a trip over to them and see what they have...They seem to have some pretty good prices on all kinds of things.

Back