GREETINGS From Broad Ripple Village in Indianapolis Indiana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMOSBAUG

Reaction score
First off :mug: !!!

I have been reading as much as I can about brewing over the last several months. (nearly every different thread about brew rigs) and have brewed about 4 different extract/grain steep brews since august. It surprised me how quickly I have been consumed by the craft!

Since my last 2 batches (pumpkin ale and a big American pale ale in the primary)
I have decided to begin accumulating my all grain equipment.
My main goal is to begin acquiring the equipment that I can use to create my own HERMS brew rig.

My plan is to start getting the best type of equipment I can that I can brew all grain now, and be able to convert those pieces to work with a HERMS.

So far I have 2 kegs to convert to an HLT and Keggle, I also have a 10 gallon GOTT cooler to convert to the MLT.

Any suggestions on how to "phase" into HERMS rather than start there would be HUGE for me!!

Let me know if you have some suggested readings (or preferably pictures i have a short attention span) that you pros might think are helpful!

Thanks for all of your helpful posts so far, it has helped me prevent many problems so far!

Welcome, Indianapolis! Good luck on your brew rig. I am not quite at that stage yet, I still move stuff around manually...

Welcome, Indianapolis! Good luck on your brew rig. I am not quite at that stage yet, I still move stuff around manually...

I hear that, I may be a little ambitious, haven't realy done an all grain yet, but I know enough about myself to know that I want as much automation as I can afford!

Wecome, I am on the west side here, Avon.

Hi Pol!

I have been reading almost everything you have posted about your herms it's pretty much what I am modeling my plan on.

Are there any brew clubs in our area?

Also I'd love to pick your brain for pointers on developing my rig over time/ to lower initial costs and spread the hardware cost out too!

Thanks for the great info I'm way jealous of your setup!

Hey, anything you need to make the transition to AG and a blingy rig, I am here.

You live close, so if you wanted to hang out during a brew session sometime, that would be doable as well. Brrman has come to see my HERMS run here and subsequently built its clone.

I am going to be demo-ing the HC-3800 controller from Ohio Brewing Tech. in January it appears, that may be some cool stuff for you to see too.

We do have brew clubs, but I am not real familiar with them.

Keep in touch in 2010 as we Indy brewers do bulk hop and grain buying together! This year I ran the hop buy and it was a huge success. I did some malt buying in 2009, next year will be much larger, I will probably run that too. Hops for less than $1 an ounce and grain for $.60 a pound my friend.

Welcome! Good luck on your rig its something ive thought about doing but im still a blood and sweat type brewer at the moment. My own transition to all grain this year was really painless and i was shocked at how easy it was and how little extra equipment it took, you sound like your well on your way.

Welcome. Good to see that you are fairly close to Great Fermentations and, Some Guys Pizza. I always have to go to both to make the trip worth it for the family.:mug:

Hey, anything you need to make the transition to AG and a blingy rig, I am here.

You live close, so if you wanted to hang out during a brew session sometime, that would be doable as well. Brrman has come to see my HERMS run here and subsequently built its clone.

I am going to be demo-ing the HC-3800 controller from Ohio Brewing Tech. in January it appears, that may be some cool stuff for you to see too.

We do have brew clubs, but I am not real familiar with them.

Keep in touch in 2010 as we Indy brewers do bulk hop and grain buying together! This year I ran the hop buy and it was a huge success. I did some malt buying in 2009, next year will be much larger, I will probably run that too. Hops for less than $1 an ounce and grain for $.60 a pound my friend.

IM IN ON ALL COUNTS!! How lucky to be close enough to be able see the rig in action! just let me know when its feasible.

Also I could go for bulk discount items anytime!

Thanks for the well wishes guys!

I get more excited about brewing every day. I will try to make sure I run everything I am about to do so as to prevent goober moves.

Welcome. Good to see that you are fairly close to Great Fermentations and, Some Guys Pizza. I always have to go to both to make the trip worth it for the family.:mug:

Self-

I have spent my fair share of denero at both places :drunk:

Did anyone else read the title of this thread wrong?

OP, do people who live near you have trouble reading the word nipple without seeing ripple? I am just wondering because Broad Ripple sounds fun.

Welcome!

Back