Dry hopping but have to leave town...bottle early or wait until 11-12 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrik

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a dry hop on an IPA...just started the dry hop 3 days ago (Sat). Anyway, we have an unexpected trip out of town this weekend that will keep me away beyond the 7 days of dry hop I had planned. Any thoughts on whether I should bottle early before I head out of town (it would need to be at 5 days of dry hopping) or if I should wait until I'm back in town, at which point it would be 11-12 days.

I've heard general statements of "off" or "grassy" flavors developing beyond 7 days but haven't heard a lot of personal stories to provide much evidence for that.

Thanks for any input.

I'd just wait. Pliney clones are dry hopped for 2 weeks. I've only had 'grassy' after 2-3 weeks at room temperature. I've dryhopped in a cold keg for months. You'll be fine.

Dry hop now bottle when you get back. I generally dry hop for 2 weeks and I get none of the supposed grassiness.

Wait for sure. You wont get maximum aroma at only 5 days, and you wont have any grassy or off flavors at 2 weeks.

I'd bottle now if its cleared up. The hop aroma isn't going to improve after 14 days. A recent study done at OSU indicates hop aroma from dry hopping begins to decrease after 24 hours. That's not to say that other compounds aren't extracted over the 14 days due to the ethanol present in the beer. The take away I got from the summary of the article is that the specific compounds they tested for were in higher concentrations at one day versus seven days. There are other compounds they may not have tested for, which I wouldn't know because the full article has not been published yet, as far as I know at least.

http://inhoppursuit.blogspot.com/2012/02/more-aroma-oil-faster-dry-hopsters-holy.html

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll wait and bottle at the 11-12 day mark and maybe (based on smokinghole's linked article) it makes sense to do a one day burst of another ounce or so to get that extra hop aroma just before bottling. Hmmmmm.

Back