Bottle carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
ok, so i have 2 batches that have been carbing for 3, and 2 weeks. the one carbing for 3 weeks is the AHS Double Chocolate stout. and the other is a Christmas ale recipe.
i tried a bottle of the DC Stout at 2 weeks carb and it was very faintly carbed. now at 3 weeks i tried another bottle, a little more, but not fully carbed yet. the Christmas ale has barely any carb after 2 weeks.
i keep the bottles in my basement, which is anywhere from 67 to 70(for a day or 2 it was hot outside those days) mostly about 68. my guess is that the temp is a little low, so i'm bringing them up to a room that is about 72-74 i figured that this will help them carb faster.
only reason i'm stressing this, is because i'm giving bottles of the DC Stout away for xmas at work, and i want them to be at minimal, perfectly carbed. and i wanted to have the xmas beer ready for xmas eve, not sure how they are going to taste, seem a bit too spicey, so they might have to sit.
as long as i pour my sugar water on the bottom and siphon the beer down to a bottling bucket, and bottle off of that, the beer/sugar should be well mixed right? i just need to give my carbing more time?
thanks for any info you can give.

both were 5 gallon batches. i put 4oz into the xmas ale, and the whole 4.5oz packet into the DC stout.

My rule of thumb when bottling is to use 1 oz of corn sugar per gallon, and I generally get fully carbed after 3-4 weeks, depending on the temp in the basement. 4oz for 5 gallons should still yield good results, it may just take longer. Also, at 68 degrees, it may take a little more time for the yeast to work.

A good trick to get things going is to give the bottles a gentle shake/roll every few days to rouse the yeast back into suspension. After you've done that a few times, let the bottles sit for another week, let the yeast do their thing and also allow time for the beer to clear up, and you should have more carbonation.

Back