Saaz in an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
So I got some hops I want to use up and thought I would put a recipe together. They all seemed to fit into an IPA. I'm just not real sure about using Saaz with these others, I think it will add a nice spicey note to the beer. I haven't used Honey malt before either, but I think I've read that it is pretty strong. Here's the recipe, please comment & make suggestions.

Target OG 1.060
IBU's 60

9 2/3lbs Two Row
1/4lb Honey Malt
1/2lb Wheat

1/2oz Magnum(13.5%) @ 60
1/2oz Magnum @ 30
1/2oz Saaz(3.5%) @ 15
1/3oz Columbus(14.4%) @ 10
1/2oz Saaz @ 5
1/2oz Centennial(10.1%) @ FO
Dry Hop with about 2/3oz Cascade5-7 days

Yeast will be US05

I'll probably brew this in about 6 weeks, so I have some time to mess with the recipe if need be.

Thanks for looking:mug:

I have never used saaz in an IPA, but I do like the character they give in a tripel. I have a feeling they might get lost behind the columbus and the centennial though. I wouldnt worry about them adding too much. Never used honey malt in an IPA either, but it might give it a nice sweetness to balance the bitter if thats what you are after.

I, too, think the Saaz would be lost, which would be a shame for a great hop. I don't think it will give you much, if anything. Why the wheat, if I may ask? If you're looking for head retention, why not throw some carapils in there? The wheat will give you a cloudy IPA.

I definitely don't want to waste them, Saaz is a great hop and I agree it would be a shame. Probably would work better in an English Style IPA. I use Saaz for my Kolsch so I will just hang onto them for that.

Maybe instead of Dry Hopping with the Cascade, I will drop the Saaz, and put all the Cascade in at 5 Minutes. I will be picking up more Centennial so I could Dry Hop with that instead.

I am going for head retention with the Wheat, I've used Carapils in some other recipes and I honestly can't tell the difference. Maybe I'll try Flaked Barley instead, i was looking at one of edworts recipes today where he used it and thought it was great for head retention.

I was surprised to find that my favorite beer -- a truly outstanding beer in all respects -- Smuttynose IPA, uses low-alpha, noble-derived Santiams. They add a complexity and spiciness. They also use Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial.

As to the Saaz, only one way to find out.

I just finished an IPA with Saaz, it's definitely a spicy tasty beer. In some ways, the American Character is lost in the hop schedule I used...

Volume 4.5 Gallons: 9lbs 2-Row, 1.5lbs Munich, 1lb C15, 4oz C40.

1oz Magnum FWH
1oz US Saaz @ 10 minutes
1oz Cascade @ 5 minutes
.6oz US Saaz & Cascade @ 0 minutes

I just finished an IPA with Saaz, it's definitely a spicy tasty beer. In some ways, the American Character is lost in the hop schedule I used...

Volume 4.5 Gallons: 9lbs 2-Row, 1.5lbs Munich, 1lb C15, 4oz C40.

1oz Magnum FWH
1oz US Saaz @ 10 minutes
1oz Cascade @ 5 minutes
.6oz US Saaz & Cascade @ 0 minutes

how do the saaz and cascade work together?

i've got a rye pa recipe im working on using columbus for bittering and dry hop, centennial for flavor and aroma and dry hop and 1oz saaz at 20min and 0min

Back