time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
barrooze said:
Or 18C or D. :) should I just guess them all???

18D will peg the underlying style. However for the win you'll have to guess what this would be entered under

Im having a hard time making this one fun...

There are no specific style guidelines save one.

I guess I'm confused. 18D is a Belgian Golden Strong. Duvel is the beer the style us fashioned after. What do you define as "underlying style" vs "style"? Sorry, I'm new RO this game, but I like it!! :D

barrooze said:
I guess I'm confused. 18D is a Belgian Golden Strong. Duvel is the beer the style us fashioned after. What do you define as "underlying style" vs "style"? Sorry, I'm new RO this game, but I like it!! :D

This is pretty much giving it away, or at least vastly narrowing it down, but in the spirit of keeping the game moving I would add that some of the categories on the BJCP style guidelines are basically wide open, but when entering one of these beers an "underlying style", must be indicated.

mcbethenstein said:
Honey Belgian golden strong...

Closest yet. However its not honey that's flavoring this beer, and rather than a particular brew callout im really just looking for the category this beer would fall into (since the color of the beer does very little to suggest what it is actually flavored with)

Closest yet. However its not honey that's flavoring this beer, and rather than a particular brew callout im really just looking for the category this beer would fall into (since the color of the beer does very little to suggest what it is actually flavored with)

Oh, 21A.

emjay said:

Yes! Amazing beer. And unfortunately one that I will probably never find again. Its blackberry, and tastes super blackberry-ish, but is not the least bit purple. It even lists the varieties of blackberries used, and claims they are grown on the brewery property. The base was a belgian golden strong.

ForumRunner_20111006_172334.jpg

emjay said:
Oh, true!

I'll put one up soon.

Gah!!! Sorry, I didn't even get a chance to have a beer today.

I'll try to post one up early tomorrow afternoon, but if somebody wants to post one before I do, go ahead.

Reno_eNVy said:
Lulz last two are basically the same.

They may be lumped together as a BJCP category, but they are not identical. And whether purchased as a commercial beer or brewed, will usually have a separate designation. The main difference is that Octoberfest is usually a little stronger. Märzen is "march" and was usually enjoyed as a less strong, younger counterpart.

Reno_eNVy said:
Lulz last two are basically the same.

Pale ale

Says the guy who semi-cheats by making a guess so broad it covers more than one style??? :D

It's an APA, so I'll give it to you because...

a) ESB (aka English pale ale) was already said, which still technically leaves the rest of the beers in the category ALSO called English pale ale, but referring to them by the category name would be somewhat more of a stretch (though probably not completely beyond you ;)), which means that

b) if I asked you to clarify, you'd probably deduce APA just from the the fact I had to ask you. Of course, you MIGHT have meant APA specifically, but would it kill you to be clear about what you mean?? :D

Anyways, your turn :ban:

They may be lumped together as a BJCP category, but they are not identical. And whether purchased as a commercial beer or brewed, will usually have a separate designation. The main difference is that Octoberfest is usually a little stronger. Märzen is "march" and was usually enjoyed as a less strong, younger counterpart.

Are you sure about that? I've had things labeled as "Marzen" that was stronger.

But seriously, now it's just nitpicking :D They are the same BJCP style. The only difference is that the Marzen means it was brewed in March and lagered until harvest season (and also, wouldn't that mean that traditionally they would have made it stronger due to the long lagering time?)

Says the guy who semi-cheats by making a guess so broad it covers more than one style??? :D

It's an APA, so I'll give it to you because...

a) ESB (aka English pale ale) was already said, which still technically leaves the rest of the beers in the category ALSO called English pale ale, but referring to them by the category name would be somewhat more of a stretch (though probably not completely beyond you ;)), which means that

b) if I asked you to clarify, you'd probably deduce APA just from the the fact I had to ask you. Of course, you MIGHT have meant APA specifically, but would it kill you to be clear about what you mean?? :D

Anyways, your turn :ban:

Cool.... but I've always been under the impression (and it seems to be the norm on here) that "pale ale" is almost synonymous with "APA." I would never call a bitter or ESB a Pale Ale.... it's an ale that is pale, but...

I'll post a pic as soon as I get back from errands!

Cool.... but I've always been under the impression (and it seems to be the norm on here) that "pale ale" is almost synonymous with "APA." I would never call a bitter or ESB a Pale Ale.... it's an ale that is pale, but...

I'll post a pic as soon as I get back from errands!

i went to errands once, beautiful this time of year.

So since today is the rivalry game between Nevada and that one school in vegas, this round will be Nevada themed! I promise the hints won't be esoteric.

This is a commercial beer brewed in Nevada but not in one of the three major cities (Reno, Carson and Vegas.) The style is intended to be malty but with a hefty hop character, especially flavor and aroma.

Also, go Wolf Pack!

ForumRunner_20111008_102321.jpg

American Amber
Ding ding ding! It's Angel Creek American Amber Ale... absolutely amazing brew and is an exact representation of the AAA style (at least IMHO)

cactus ale.
Lulz, no. The brewery is in northeastern Nevada which, much like Reno or the encompassing Truckee Meadows, is quite green with forest cover (both coniferous and deciduous.)

Also:

Hail to our study team
Loyal and truuuue
March, march on down that field
For siiiilver and bluuuuue

We'll give a long cheer for Nevada's team
See them break through again
Fighting for our own U of N
To viiiiiictooooryyyyy!

N-E-V-A-D-A.... NEVADA!!!

Oh don't mind me.... I've already started pregaming for the rivalry today!!

Back