YET ANOTHER Yeast Starter question (kinda)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
Ok, so i'm all in on making starters now, my beer is bubbling within hours. Also since I have been re-using yeast I have more of it (probably 6-10 times a single vile's worth) and I can get very fast vigorous fermentation.

I have noticed my beer is much better and my thinking is this.... Before I made a starter it would take about 72 hours to take off. All of my beers took a long time to "mature" and they all had the same initial "off" taste that would dicipate over time. I am wondering if the quick alchohol production and vigorous fermentation is fixing all of this. What are the benefits of a faster more vigourous fermentation?

too many to list. The yeast naturally clean up after themselves when they are done fermenting and ready to rest for a while, so the fact that your fermentations start earlier, go quicker, and clean-up better/faster (mature) are all credits to proper pitching rates and healthy yeast.

Like Clay says, there are many reasons a starter produces different and often improved beer. One is that a higher pitch rate (yeast cells per volume of wort) affects the metabolism of the yeast resulting in a different ratio of flavor compounds being produced in the beer. That is, the actual population of the yeast in the wort initially, affects the yeast's metabolism of the sugars available. This is why commerical brewers have a pitch rate or cell count specification on their beers as they start fermentation.

Dr Malt

Latest posts

Back