1 bottle was over carbed and hazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klamz

Reaction score
This must be an infection. I just cracked open a brew at room temperature that I made a few months ago. This one was hazy for some reason(not chill haze) and it was overcarbed. The flavor is bland and the mouthfeel is extremely dry. Not sure if this is how they all would have ended up because I only have 2 bottles left. I'm going to open the last few soon to compare. Any thoughts on this? I was thinking maybe it was just a little too much priming sugar that wasnt mixed well in the bottling bucket, but the fact that it hazed up threw me off. hoping it was just a poorly cleaned bottle. Any thoughts????

I just cracked open a brew at room temperature that I made a few months ago.

Yeah, of course your beer was both over carbed and hazy...that's what happens when you open room temp bottle conditioning beer.

Chilling it both reabsorbes excess co2 into the solution AND it helps to flocculate any yeast and proteins in the beer, which will make the beer clearer. Chilling a bottle is the same as cold crashing.

Don't always assume an infection, especially if you are doing something wrong. ;)

Chill them down for a week and see.

Revvy that makes sense but what doesnt is that the flavor is almost completely gone. it has a sharp bite and dry finish now unlike a few weeks ago. It's like it continued to ferment through from wild yeast.

Well first things are going to taste different when they are warm and overly fizzy as opposed to cold & correctly fizzy. Plus you have to rule out the temp of the beer and it's effect on carbonation, so since you stated you opened it warm, that will cause those problems.

If you've chilled it down for a week, you rule out the co2 and haze issue, if it is STILL gushing after that, then you possibly have a late onset gushing infection. But not opennig the beer cold, does make the a little more difficult, and fuzzy.

Back