Imperial Stout Russian Imperial Stout (2011 HBT Competition Category Winner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wobrien sent me one of his homebrews from this recipe and I had to give this a try. Will be brewing it up tomorrow after work but using 1098 instead. Im adding 3 oz med toast oak beans and 2 spilt/cut vanilla beans soaked in jameson into secondary per Wobrien's version.

To answer your question, I mashed at 151* and it dropped to 150* over the 60 min mash.

To answer your question, I mashed at 151* and it dropped to 150* over the 60 min mash.

Awesome, thanks man! I am interested to see how oak beans taste compared to oak chips. The beans are typically used more for wine, but should work perfect for this as well. Who knows, maybe I wont even be able to tell a difference.

Awesome, thanks man! I am interested to see how oak beans taste compared to oak chips. The beans are typically used more for wine, but should work perfect for this as well. Who knows, maybe I wont even be able to tell a difference.

Ha! I thought oak beans was a typo, never heard of them.

Ha! I thought oak beans was a typo, never heard of them.

Nope haha they arent actually beans, just oak cubes really. Heres a link to the ones I got.

http://www.grapeandgranary.com/oakbeans.html

9077.jpg

Pretty sure I'll have to send you some RIS once it goes in and out of my oak barrel. :D :rockin:

Had a rough brewday last night. Ended up having to add DME during the boil to get close to my numbers. Ended up low still but have 6 gallons now instead of five. Fermentation has taken off already after a little over twelve hours. I hope it turns out at least comparable to Bills.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396030916.016168.jpg

Brewed this last week and came away with surprisingly low gravity... which i recall reading other brewers experienced with this one? OG was temperature corrected to just 1.065, so i bumped it up with roughly a pound of buckwheat honey which brought it to 1.074. respectable for an RIS, but definitely not the 1.1+ prescribed by the recipe.

I'm putting this down to one or perhaps both of two things: first, this was a thinner mash than i'm used to. i went the full 1.5qrt to pounds of grain and so mashed in ~28qrts. Next time i would stick to my usual 1.25qrts to a pound. second, my mash temperature was slightly low? i forgot to preheat my tun and so lost a few more degrees than i had anticipated. Water was preheated to 176F but by the time it & the grain were all in the tun it had dropped down to under 149F, and i was shooting at 155F. Oh well. It still smells incredible and I'm sure will turn out delicious... just thought I'd report back. Anybody have any other theories? Generally my efficiencies are pretty good.

Also, successfully partigyled this and drew off a nice session porter. thinking i'll add some espresso to it? nice breakfast porter? Should be good.

I picked up the bill for this RIS at my LHBS today. With out going through 33 pages, would anyone be able to tell me of any changes or info on this particular brew? I appreciate the help.

Just brewed this parti-gyle today RIS came in at 1.091 and my second runnings brown ipa came in at 1.041 RIS taste amazing straight out of the kettle it blew me away can't wait for this to be ready the brown ipa will be fermented with some home grown Conan
RIS
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396751724.113664.jpg
Brown ipa
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396751757.553945.jpg

Both are going strong thank good I put the blow off tube on the RIS ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396831497.252143.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396831532.073231.jpg

Conans brown ipa
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396831591.307875.jpg

Already picking up oak as soon as I take a sip. This stuff is ridiculous!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396835464.609053.jpg

Hey remmy we will have to add these in on our swap to compare our results, I'm thinking bout doing a gallon out of the five on bourbon soaked oak and a vanilla bean

And where you get a barrel with the ucon logo on it? Would be killer to find one sporting lsu I could get the in-laws to fund that purchase lol

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396901137.437662.jpg
Blow off tube is an absolute must with this beer. Thank goodness my lid is clamped on or it would have blown across the room!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey remmy we will have to add these in on our swap to compare our results, I'm thinking bout doing a gallon out of the five on bourbon soaked oak and a vanilla bean

And where you get a barrel with the ucon logo on it? Would be killer to find one sporting lsu I could get the in-laws to fund that purchase lol

For sure, man.

I bottled this last night. 9.8% ABV and in-your-face oak. This beer is awesome.

Good thing you sampled it early then. I probably would've waited too long

I sampled it a few days ago and each day thereafter. Noticeably stronger oak flavor and aroma each day. I was tempted to leave it in there until today. But took 2-3 more samples and decided it was time.

Brewed this in early January. Has a plummy aroma with burnt toast on the front finishing with bread and raisins. It has a rich chewy mouth-feel with the Magnum hops coming through at the very end. Since we did this as a lager with Marsden (WLP830), you should have seen the starter for a 10 gallon batch :)

RIS.jpg

Curious if anyone has tried WLP004 with this? Looks like it might dry it out a little bit more?

Just finished my brewday. Chilling in the chamber before pitching my starter. Here are some pics. A 2 hearted for celebrating my biggest beer. Don't mind my brew buddy playing with spent grains. Cheers

1397083053654.jpg

1397083091414.jpg

1397083125743.jpg

1397083137038.jpg

Oh I did, I just used the air lock while dropping for 80 to 63. Then I pitched and added the tube.

I've had a smaller beer want to blow the top off a bucket before lol. Thanks for the heads up anyways.!

That's what I use for my blow off tube s and they work great and yea this one will go nuts with a starter glad
I loaded mine with a blow off lol

Haha. My ferm temps are showing pretty low 60s even dips to 59. But bubbling away. Should I try and raise it to 65?

Took samples from the RIS and brown ipa yesterday this RIS is amazing as is no carb and I'm sittin at 10.1% right now brown ipa is sitting a 4% dry hopped it yesterday bottle in 4 days then transfer
RIS to secondary
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397317508.707028.jpg

I was using my syphon tube and got way more then wanted from both of them I need to invest in a wine thief

Was planning to secondary it for 4 months anyway Lol. Just didn't know,how the,yeast cake,would affect the flavor. Sorry still getting used to this new phone keyboard.

Oaky goodness. So floccing smooth.

This had been in my oak barrel about 3 weeks ago.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398206776.102818.jpg

Looks great!

I have some questions about bottle conditioning this one. I pitched the starter(1.094OG @ 4/9/14), and will move it over to my 5gal sanke for aging after about a month in primary, depending on constant readings. If I age this one out for 3-6 months then bottle, are there enough yeasties to eat up the priming sugars? Or would I need to pitch some yeast(and if so please go on and tell me how to go about that! :eek: )? I wont be kegging this time because me and two of my pals are splitting this batch up. Thanks for all the info so far.

Edit: I have opened a new thread for this question, will edit with link if fruitful.

Back