First brew: Check; Fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewkrew

Reaction score
Ok so I've read the forums, the FAQ's and there is a lot of good ideas. I finished my first brew last night and it is not hopefully at home fermenting, (as I troll the forums at work). Now I have to make decisions on fermenting and secondary fermenting?

My beer is currently in a 6.5gal carboy with rubber stopper and air lock. My question is should I use a secondary fermentor? Everywhere I read the answer is yes, no, and if possible yes!! That being said what container should I use as a secondary fermentor. I bought a kit that came with the carboy and a food grade bucket that comes with a spicket attachment at the bottom for easy bottling. Can I ferment my beer in the carboy for say two weeks then rack it into my bottling bucket for a week or so and then bottle it straight out of the spicket? Or should I buy another carboy and use that as a secondary fermentor (i've thought about doing this anyway so I can have more brews going at a time).

Any help you can provide would be awesome!

Leave it in the primary for another 2 weeks or so if you can to let the yeast clean up their mess as others have mentioned here in a ton of threads. I have done my last 3 batches this way and man it makes a huge difference. It also beats taking the risk of oxidation transferring to a secondary. I would only recommend a secondary if you are adding fruit.

JM2C

Only secondary if you are going to add fruit or dry hop. I even dry hop in the primary after fermentation is complete (because I'm lazy, and I don't want to risk the chance of oxidation).

Primary for 21-28 days, then secondary (if you choose to for 1-2 weeks)

+1 for the yeast "cleaning up" after themselves, allowing your beer to primary longer will give you a far superior end product, I know it can be agonizing, but let it sit in your primary fermenter for a month. Careful racking to bottling bucket or keg, and your beer will be clear.

Back