Lager Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betch

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch of extract lager Sunday. I want to ensure that I have the temp requirments correct. The primary should be 50-60 for 14 days, and the secondary should be 40 or less for 14 days? Also after the secondary your bring it back to room temp to bottle then back down to 40 for 3 weeks?

The temps you have are correct, you may want to consider longer than 2 weeks for the seconday though.. 2 weeks will give you good beer, but 3-4 weeks should give you better beer.

3rd and Long said:
The temps you have are correct, you may want to consider longer than 2 weeks for the seconday though.. 2 weeks will give you good beer, but 3-4 weeks should give you better beer.

And then lager it longer too. I am now just drinking the Bock I made in December(actually I tapped it in early June), and it is well worth the wait. With lagers it is patience, patience, patience. Oktoberfests are brewed in March. Bocks in december and drunk in late spring. Just a couple of examples. :)

Exactly!!!! I brewed 10 gallons of Octoberfest in March and kegged in late June. Now I will have to wait until October to enjoy them, but it will be WELL worth the wait.

As far as bringing back to "room temp" it depends on what room temp is for you. I usually bring my fridge back up to 60 degrees for 48 hours and then keg. 4-6 weeks is what I usually do secondary at; believe me it is worth the wait.

Just my two cents.

Back