Help with design for keg system...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delpo

Reaction score
I recently received 4 corny kegs and now need to buy all the related equipment to make it work. What is the most cost efficient way to connect the 4 kegs to dispense. Thanks in advance for the help.

Delpo

Micromatic has good cheap regulators and CO2 tanks, for a DIY system. Though you might want to contact Midwest Supplies or KegConnection for quotes on pre-assembled 4-tap systems without Kegs (their quote will include the tank and regulator). The advantage of a kit is that it will already be assembled, though it may cost more. If you want to DIY, then you'll need to get hoses, gas splitters, check valves, hose clamps, Keg Couplers, etc...

Be sure to clean the kegs thoroughly and rinse/sanitize them. The O-rings may need to be replaced, so you'll want to look into that and keg lube, you definitely will want keg lube. There are some good resources in the FAQ stickey about disassembly and cleaning of kegs.

So, do you want to assemble all of the parts yourself, or do you want to buy a custom system? That's the question. If you do want to go DIY, then we can give you advice on what you'll need.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will be looking to DIY on this one.

Delpo

I went DIY. Here's my breakdown, aside from the 4 cornies:

CO2 tank (5 lb.), and regulator (ebay) - $105
Disconnects and various tubing, connections (LHBS) - $130
4 New poppet valves (LHBS) - $22

I'm currently serving out of a minifridge with picnic taps, with both kegs running off one regulator.

Do you want to dispense at one pressure for all the kegs or do you want to have multiple pressures?

If you want just one pressure, get a CO2 distribution manifold for however many kegs you want, a single pressure regulator, and enough hose and ball lock connectors for your kegs.

Multiple dispensing pressures gets into multiple primary regulators or a single primary regulator with secondary pressure regulators.

I went with two primary regulators and one six port O2 distribution manifold. That way I have 6 CO2 lines for standard 2 volume CO2 beer and one for 20 - 30 psi for soda.
2693197010_3391afcdbe.jpg
2692540547_4d13a05015.jpg

For DIY, here's a basic parts list:

For each keg:
Dispensing: 1 liquid disconnect (barbed = cheaper), hose clamp, 6' hose to fit barb, picnic tap.
Gas in: 1 gas disconnect (barbed), 2 hose clamps, ~3' gas hose.

Also need:
4-way gas manifold with barbed (gas hose size) shutoff + check valves (4 valves total).
gas hose from regulator to manifold (3' should be ok), 2 hose clams for this hose, fitting to connect to regulator.
Regulator: minimum = 1 gauge (recommend: 2 gauge) regulator.
CO2 tank.

Personally, I have a 3 gauge regulator (two outputs at different pressures) and I use disconnects with threaded fittings. These are optional upgrades, what I quoted you is probably the cheapest you'll get.

I just priced out everything from Midwest Supplies, and it came to $253.15. Their quadruple tap draft system with kegs is $279.95. Granted, you could save a bit of money by shopping around for the best price. Getting the CO2 tank and regulator from Micromatic instead will save you about $30.00 depending on shipping. Get what you can at your local hardware store to save even more (the manifold, hose clamps, and barbed disconnects).

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Really appreciate the effort and the information. Same to all who responded.

Carlos

For DIY, here's a basic parts list:

For each keg:
Dispensing: 1 liquid disconnect (barbed = cheaper), hose clamp, 6' hose to fit barb, picnic tap.
Gas in: 1 gas disconnect (barbed), 2 hose clamps, ~3' gas hose.

Also need:
4-way gas manifold with barbed (gas hose size) shutoff + check valves (4 valves total).
gas hose from regulator to manifold (3' should be ok), 2 hose clams for this hose, fitting to connect to regulator.
Regulator: minimum = 1 gauge (recommend: 2 gauge) regulator.
CO2 tank.

Personally, I have a 3 gauge regulator (two outputs at different pressures) and I use disconnects with threaded fittings. These are optional upgrades, what I quoted you is probably the cheapest you'll get.

I just priced out everything from Midwest Supplies, and it came to $253.15. Their quadruple tap draft system with kegs is $279.95. Granted, you could save a bit of money by shopping around for the best price. Getting the CO2 tank and regulator from Micromatic instead will save you about $30.00 depending on shipping. Get what you can at your local hardware store to save even more (the manifold, hose clamps, and barbed disconnects).

Hope this helps.

Back