Sluggish Beer Pours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I tapped a Hefe keg this weekend and the beer is very sluggish coming out thru the tap. I have another full soda keg sitting right beside it so I switched liquid lines out, and the problem shifted to the other tap. By doing this I eliminated (I think) any issues related to the taps, beer lines, ball lock liquid out connector, gas regulator wye valve all are normal due to my shift test.

Leaves me thinking it is the keg itself. Its carbed nicely so I am going to have to pull the dip tube on a fully carbed and full keg. I am prepared to replace the dip tube from a spare keg and replace the ball lock valve while I'm in there.

So, my plan is to bleed off any pressure so beer wont go wild thru the opening. Take off the ball post but leave the lid on the keg depressurized with the relief valve twisted to the stay open position. Pull and replace the valve and dip tube (sanitized). I think I'll solve my sluggish pour problem unless anyone sees a flaw in my plan. Advice?

You might want to try placing your gas disconnect and place it on the liquid post and blow out anything that might be stuck In the poppet or dip tub.

I have never done this since I thought the sizes were different......will a gas in fit on a liquid out post?

It will fit, but it won't lock. You just have to hold the disconnect down for the air to shoot out.

Back