Double IPA Pliny the Elder Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also try double milling and prehydrating your grain before milling (there are a couple great threads on here about it)

Here's the recipe that I used:
2000ml starter with 250ml high viability slurry from a previous batch (washed 1056)
13.5# pale malt
6oz Crystal 35
10 oz. Carapils
MASH AT 149*
12oz. Dextros (15 Min. boil w/ 1 whirlfloc)
3.5 Columbus 90 min.
0.75 Columbus 45 min.
1.0 Simcoe 30 min.
1.o Centennial Flame out
2.5 Simcoe Flame out
1.0 Amarillo Flame out
Whirlpool 20 minutes
Primary 14 days, then,
1oz each DH all four hops 14 days
0.25oz each DH all four hops 7 days
28 days total

OG 1.078 (oops!)
FG 1.008
ABV 9.18% (oops again!)

Absolutely no alchohol burn, even after warming.

I brewed a second batch with a little different water profile, we will see how it works. (1.068 SG this time, 1.078 is too high)

So this is the recipe I brewed yesterday. I'll see how it goes man.....using a hop spider was a MUST after all those hops. the batch size in my fermenter comes out to 5.5 gallons.

Here's an absolute accurate recipe from a contract brewer of Russian River. You won't get any closer than this :)
attachment.php

Can someone downsize this for 5 gal batches?

So mine's been in the fermenter for 11 days now....just dry hopped with 1 oz each of the used hops in the boil (4 total I believe)

stoked for this.....can't come soon enough

I made this using honey instead of corn syrup. I skipped the second dry hop addition and it came out great. Also dry at around 1.010. I'm gonna do the second hop addition next time.

When are Brewers adding the dextrose? The brew sheet from page 50 something doesn't show the time for that addition.

Anyone?

Just finished brewing this but missed the OG, I got 1062 or so, which is disappointing as it seemed everything went rather well during the brew, and actually ended up short of 19L (5 US Gallons) in the fermenter after boiling... My efficiency must be pretty poor.

I have never tasted PTE so even if this doesn't work out a clone, hopefully it should still be a pretty tasty IPA?

I was a little worried about having a keg of beer this strong anyway so maybe its a blessing in disguise...

Update, this ended at 1010 so 6.8% ABV and is bloody tasty when served at the right temperature and carbonation levels.

Maybe more bitter then it should have been due to a slightly lower volume and lower gravity than expected, but I'm still really happy with it!

Thanks for the recipe I will be making this one again for sure!

Cheers, It tasted even better yesterday after another week and a half, and it had cleared up nicely too... shame the keg is nearly empty!

I finished my keg of this in 2 weeks. Didn't even have time to clarify fully. Was great but I may dial back the 90 min hops as the back of the throats bitterness is a bit much

I am contemplating moving this beer from primary fermentor to secondary (dry hopping keg) 8 days after pitching yeast.

I hit an OG of 1.071 and pitched 1.5 liters of actively fermenting Dennys favorite starter, 64 degrees for 3 days and am ramping up 1 degree per day wich will put it at 70 or so when I transfer. So fermentation started quick and should have been plenty healthy. The krausen dropped around day 3 of active fermentation.

Normally I might give it a little longer in the primary but I want to free up the primary so I can brew a NE IPA. Trying to do them as close together as possible so I can have them both on tap together. In addition I want to do all dryhopping in the keg as I now have a sweet filter set up for it (taken from the NE IPA thread).

I'm thinking this should be fine as there will still be plenty of yeast around after transferring that they can continue to clean up if needed in the dry hop keg. Instructions from Vinnie are kind of vague with the "transfer when initial fermentation subsides". For me what I would say by day 8 that will be the case.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

I do day 8-10 transfer all the time, my room temp (70F) keg dry hop lasts 3 days. I never run into any issues long as the final gravity is close and the sample doesn't have off flavors.

Yeah I wouldn't think twice about it other than the fact that this is a big-ish beer at 1.071 OG. I do plan on doing the dry hop schedule from the original recipe at 70F, so it is around two weeks or so all together for the dry hopping. So kegging will be about 3 weeks and a couple days from when I pitched the yeast.

Only thing I would add is to cold crash starting the day before. Might be just me, but seems I get "cleaner" tasting beers after starting to CC.

Cold crash the day before transfer to secondary? Or before transfer to serving keg? The latter I can see. Although why not just cold crash in the serving keg.

Cold crashing before secondary... I don't know if I want to do that. I kind of feel like, after 8 days, that the yeast are not going to be fully done doing there thing.

Cold crash the day before transfer to secondary? Or before transfer to serving keg? The latter I can see. Although why not just cold crash in the serving keg.

Cold crashing before secondary... I don't know if I want to do that. I kind of feel like, after 8 days, that the yeast are not going to be fully done doing there thing.

I cold crash before the secondary to keep the yeast/trub limited. I don't care if the hops get transferred during kegging.

To address your other concerns. I typically ferment ipas for 7-10days, xfer, then dry hop for 1 or 2 days. Studies show that's all that's needed for maximum hop oil extraction. So I'm kegging in less then 2 weeks.

I think I'll leave in primary until day 10. Turn heat off which will drop the temp to 50. Leave for a day, maybe throw some ice in the bath. Maybe that will encourage some more of the yeast to drop, transfer to keg and start dryhopping on day 12 (Day 11-12) will have to be up on my table so it can settle before transfer.

Will just postpone NE IPA a week or so. Best not to rush. Very unfortunate. Need another 7+ gallon fermentor I guess.

I'd be interested to see how other people do these steps.

im going for. a 5 gallon brew. Ordered everything I need for Geterbrewed.
Will 1 pack of Wyeast 1056 be enough do you think or will I need to make a starter, which I actually have never done before.
Thx

A starter isn't hard. I have used the "vitality starter", making it the morning I brewed my batch.
But this batch is only a little over the 1.065 direct pitch limit. You will likely be fine if you use it as is. If you are worried, add the sugar after fermentation starts. That way you will be pitching into a lower gravity wort, and letting your yeast build up. Then boil the sugar in a small amount of water, cool it and add it. This practice is common in Belgians.
Good temperature control will help your yeast produce good beer.

+1 for adding sugars 12hrs after pitching. For stronger IPAs, I use 2pk of Safale-05 and be done with it. It gets me to 10% or so without doing anything extra.

I have this recipe in the bucket right now. With two packs of US05, it took off quickly and bubbled steadily for four days. Now I'm letting it condition for a while before dry hopping.

I have a 3 litre growler, packet of light spray malt and the wyeast 1056 but no stir plate. Could I make a starter?
If so how pls.
\thx

Make 2-3 pints of 1.040 wort. Cool to pitch temp. Add yeast, swish to oxygenate. For a cap, if you dont have a bung that fits, i'd layer 3 or 4 pieces of loosely layered aluminum foil with a few poked holes sprayed with star sans. Every few hours swish it around. Give it 2 days.

2 more things. Obviously make sure your growler is sanitized and make PtE a bit stronger to compensate for the additional liquid.

Any other lil tips appreciated to in regards to the recipe.
i.e.. when to add
Centennial 8.00% A.A. 0 min.
Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 0 min.

Just I read about lowering the temp then adding??

Any other lil tips appreciated to in regards to the recipe.
i.e.. when to add
Centennial 8.00% A.A. 0 min.
Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 0 min.

Just I read about lowering the temp then adding??

Wait for the wort to cool to 175F before adding 0min hops. Oils are very volatile. I'll divided in half and add the other half at 150F, but that's not traditionally recommended.

Messed up
Lost a lot due to evaporation and only ended up with 3 bloody gallon. I'm gutted. maybe down to my new wide boiler plus a lot of hop matter and lost wort.
GUTTED.
OG came in at 1.080
This will change my dry hop measurements now won't it?

Did you add your sugar yet? Maybe add 2-4 quarts of RO (depends on if the gravity does/does not include the sugar) to the fermenter, swirl it around, call it a day. Careful,with sanitization of you do this, swirl quickly, and have the water at a similar temp to the wort. Then, mostly your later hops may be impacted, but I bet it will still be pretty good.

Also for next time, refractometers are relatively cheap....they help track your SG during the boil, so you can reduce the flame if you're way ahead. I'm doing this beer next myself. If you like it, brew it again, then do an exbeeriment to see if you can taste the difference with the diluted 1st batch! I totally screwed up my first stout BIAB, fell about 8 points short on FG, and now I enjoy it as a dinner beer, kinda like liquid sweet bread as a side! Still tastes good.

yeah added the 340 dextrose at start of boil.
Should I reduce my dry hops by 2/5 seeing as I'm 2 gallon short on the 5.?

Back