The Yeast made it into 'Da Lock!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredTheNuke

Reaction score
Anyone ever saw this one - this is my first all grain brew. A 1.049 OG Pilsner - 15 gallon batch. 3 five gallon primaries at 52F. Number 2 has WLP800 German Pilsner Yeast. 1 has Zurich Lager and 3 has Old Bavarian. I have NEVER saw the yeast overflow into the airlock and settle as sediment. I have not opened it to investigate further - figured better off to leave her alone... Never saw this one in extract brews. Hopefully she'll be a Mighty Fine Batch (although the water in that airlock is 50% rum (all I had on hand))....

2012_03_11_999_7.jpg

2012_03_11_999_6.jpg

2012_03_11_999_5.jpg

Yes has happened to me before. Really was not an issue so long as I kept the liquid at the line (I use cheap vodka). I am moving to a blowoff hose now because of just this issue.

I had it happen once on a high gravity brew. Just leave her alone, as long as you have no blockage it'll be fine. The blowoff is always a good idea though, I know I can't monitor initial fermentation enough to prevent a blow off. The tube gives a little more security as to not have a mess to clean up

Thanks! I am not used to seeing it so vigorous for a low gravity cold fermented Pilsner - usually we see people wondering why the airlock activity stopped...

Should be fine. Might splash a little alcohol into just to be safe.

Latest posts

Back