help with equipment setup for all grain brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furstyjaymar13

Reaction score
Ive been brewing from extract kits for the last year since getting into homebrews but im eager and confident to take the next step to move to all grain brewing....
ive been buying bits here and there and i am slowly taking over the house with equipement :rockin: .....
ive got a large brewpot that has a diameter of 350mm/14 inches and i tried to stick that on my electric hob, i knew the hob wasn't going to be big enough but now i realize how much heat im going to need to boil the wort effectively with that humongous brewpot!
ive provided a link of something i can afford but i'd like to know peoples experience and opinions concerning the use of this;
http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Gas_Boiling_Ring_5kw.html#.UbCzGvm1HbQ
and whether i need a regulator? ill get some hose and i can get hold of gas bottles easily but i guess i use propane? what about butane? most importantly can this supply me with enough heat output to do the job on a fair turn-around? i dont really understand 5kw and how effective that'd be either.
thanks for reading

That should be fine for smaller batches. You want propane if that's what the burner is designed for. In the States some can be for natural gas, but most are for propane. I'm not familiar with the heating gas options in the UK.

you will need a propane regulator and supply hose. I'd go with the one listed as 8kw.
the 5kw one is just over 18,000 btu, thats about a 1/3 of the output that a bayou classic sq-14 puts out and its a common favorite in the USA.

no idea about butane, its just not common in large amounts here.

you will need a propane regulator and supply hose. I'd go with the one listed as 8kw.
the 5kw one is just over 18,000 btu, thats about a 1/3 of the output that a bayou classic sq-14 puts out and its a common favorite in the USA.

no idea about butane, its just not common in large amounts here.

thankyou to both replies.

thats great knowing that'll do the job with a bit of extra equipment as well but ive checked out the bayou classic sq-14 and read the description and i think im in love! just looking for a cheap way to buy from uk, otherwise it might sadly be out of my price limit!
thankyou very much indeed!

looking at the regulators on the UK site, they all seem to be the older male non-opd (overfill protection device) connection. the bayou classic will come with the newer style. adaptors are cheap assuming US and UK propane tank valve threads are the same.

just something to consider.

Not sure why any vender would sell a burner without the hose and regulator to make the assembly operable. I believe the regulator needs to be matched to the burner to operate properly. I have a KAB4 that came with a high pressure regulator.

looking at the regulators on the UK site, they all seem to be the older male non-opd (overfill protection device) connection. the bayou classic will come with the newer style. adaptors are cheap assuming US and UK propane tank valve threads are the same.

just something to consider.

thanks, an important addition, thats half my trouble understanding all these types of valves used around the world/or for different usages. Im gona have the same trouble with kegs when i make the move from bottling lol

Back