What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started catching up on rinsing some bottles for my collection. also submitted another article. This time on Starsan. Trying to finish up editing/proof reading on my book. Homebrewing makes it to sci-fi!:mug:

Finally went through and dumped about 20 gallons of not-very-good bottled beer in the basement, soaked and cleaned and rinsed all those bottles. I felt kinda bad giving all that beer to the compost pile instead of me and my friends, but these were brews from my early all-grain days that weren't good to begin with, and are pretty wretched by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Watered my hops plants. Three are looking great, two need some tlc. My third year plant is looking awesome. I need to work on the trellis though.

I've been botteling for the past two days, a Dead Guy clone and Centennial ale. Cleaning more bottles. Wouldn't be fun if I wasn't drinking and listening to Down on Pandora radio.

Moved my valve and screen over to my new mash/lauter tun. The old tun was a 20 + yr old cooler that was thin walled and was starting to crack. The new one is a Coleman Extreme 5 with very thick walls. I expect it to hold temps really well.

Started the first batch last night, LATE! Already seeing some action in the airlock. EXCITING!

I don't know who enjoyed it more, the hubby doing it, or me helping him along.

Starting a much needed brew day. Brewing up an all grain American amber ale, to use up some of my grain stockpile.

A few weeks ago, I bought close to 250lbs of American 2-row/British Maris Otter, thinking I could use it all in about a year. Probably not going to happen, unless I brew like every week.

Made a starter of wlp090 yesterday, for this batch.

Got 54-12 oz bottles from the batch of saison just a lil bit ago. Tasty brew said 2.4 vco2 max,NB said 3.2! Didn't wanna chance over carbing the bottles,so I went with 2.4 volumes co2. Stock pile is "piling up". Got enough bottles left to bottle the dampfbier when it's ready. This'll be the first time I brewed enough to fill all my bottles! :ban::tank::ban:

Racked 6 gal of my Hop Stoopid clone to secondary & dry hopped.
Also bottled a 6 gal batch of NZ Sauvignon Blanc.
Picked up the ingredients for an AG Kolsch.

Pic's from yesterday. Nothing to exciting, but maybe they'll make you want to brew this weekend. Cheers. :mug:

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

Bought my ingredients for the first beer I'll be making for my wife- a cherry wheat. Straight out of Brewing Classic Styles except that it's sweet cherry purée instead of apricot.

Picked up some O-rings and reassembled and sanitized a keg for my Golden Promise/Centennial lawnmower beer. While I was at the LHBS, I got some 3068 for the hefeweizen I'll brew next week.

Getting ready for a Father's Day brew session (my first original recipe!) so I go to the LHBS and he has some recently outdated white lab yeast vials at half price!

Score!!! I got some wlp001, wlp090, wlp080, wlp005 and wlp007... California, British, European, Cream ale and San Diego super!!!

Couldn't squeeze in a brew session this weekend but did tend to the hops plants this morning.

Went to a consignment shop looking for a grain mill and walked out with a 10gal ball lock corny for $15 buks... Wickit pissa! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402780132.570789.jpg

I was planning on kegging two batches today, but only ended up kegging one. I noticed some gunk on the inside of my racking cane while I was kegging the first one, so I decided to hold off on the second one until I can get a new racking cane tomorrow. I just hope the 6.9% in the first one is enough to keep a potential infection at bay.

I drove all over Rhode Island trying to find a place to crush grain.. No luck...
Any RI brewers here care to lend a hand?

Packaged a Caribou Slobber and brewed a Pale Ale.

Just crushed .5#'s of Victory malt with a rolling pin for my brew day tomorrow, added it to the rest of the grist.

I Eisbocked my hefeweizen. Explanation needed?

About a week ago bottled Hefeweizen, mostly swing tops and a few PETs for what was leftover. I miscalculated bottles needed, and when the "need more" moment came these were at hand quickly.

Put one of them into the freezer last night to quick chill it, then promptly fell asleep on the couch and it stayed there overnight. Come morning, put the brick into the fridge. This evening, looked at it and noticed it was mostly thawed, and an ice core. "Why not!?"

Ended up with 12 oz out of a 16 oz bottle, nice creamy thick mouthfeel, slightly stronger flavour yet still balanced and not overpowering. Rather enjoying it right now, I may try variations of this method in the future. I also saved the ice block (thawing) to check and see how much non-ice was left in the bottle. Might as well toss some science into the mix.

Kegged my Golden Promise lawnmower beer.

As I was filling the keg, I noticed a little piece of fuzz on my shirt and I, almost involuntarily, brushed it off. Yeah, it fell right into the keg. Oh well. The keg went straight into the sub-40 degree fridge, where it will remain until kicked. Not too worried about any kind of infection or anything.

went to a bar that ran out of radiant pig and got some over-hopped unbalanced west coast **** instead.

Back