Secondary Fermenter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balzern

Reaction score
Hey All,

So I am brewing a Winter Ale with Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale (OG 1.047) (55-75 temp range) and it will be a week since brew day on Saturday. My airlock activity is almost non existent at this point, and there seems to be a sour/acidic smell that the fermenter is giving off. This has never happened to me before with the smell or relatively little amount of airlock activity. The recipe calls for a transfer to a secondary fermenter after two weeks but it seems like it might be ok to put it in a secondary only after one week. The temperature has been between 59-68 (I put it in a swamp cooler about 2 days ago). I just wanted to know if I should give it a full 2 weeks in a primary and if the strange smells are normal for this type of ale.

Thanks

Go the full two weeks. The yeast will clean up after itself and you may get a better beer as a result. Also, as many have said on here, if you smelling something weird, that means the smell or compound in question is being pushed out of the beer by the co2. its a good thing.

Correct me if im mistaken folks.

I don't do a secondary. An option could be to skip the secondary altogether. Leave it in the primary x 3-4 weeks, do you hydrometer checks to make sure it's stable / finished, transfer to bottling bucket and go! :tank:

Back