Need Help - Dial thermometer in-line on a plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewVegas

Reaction score
I've seen various installations of a dial thermometer plumbed to a plate chiller, but can't seem to find them again on here. I'm want to see how others have attached it with a tee. I'm afraid that a 3" probe will be too long to hook-up with a tee. Any ideas?

Thansk...

I attached a short nipple, then SS coupling to one port of a tee. That gives you the added length to put the thermo in.

This is the way I did mine with two tees and a nipple because of the oxygen injection. You could just use an elbow, nipple, and tee.

SDC11141.jpg

SDC11140.jpg
[/IMG]

I always added oxygen with a wand and stone attached. I haven't noticed any difference doing it this way, it just eliminates another step as I can do it while I fill fermenter.

I rigged my plate chiller with a "t" on its side. Wort comes in from the outflow of the chiller and out the side of the "t". I have a dial thermometer with a 2 inch probe threaded into to the top with no space problems. I got the thermometer from installation parts supply for around $18.

Stone inside just like this.
SDC11136.jpg

I have never seen a nipple like that. It looks like you pass the tubing through and attach the stone. How do you get it to seal? Do you do a recirc? If you are not oxygenating the entire time, how do you keep wort from traveling down to you O2 tank?

where did you get the hardware to put this together?

Brewhardware.com had everything I needed!

Thanks,
Marty

Latest posts

Back