Long Lagering Time - Botting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefMichael01

Reaction score
I have a lager that had a primary fermentation (at lager temps) for about 6 weeks then an extended secondary lagering for over 3 months now (haven't had the time to get to bottling).

Well, I am finally going to bottle this tonight and wanted to see if anyone though I should add a bit of dry yeast (I have S-04 and S-05 sitting around) before bottling.

Thanks.

As a side note, the holidays and having constant weekend trips or visitors really puts a damper on my brewing and I haven't started a new batch in 3 months. When this happens, does anyone else feel like you've betrayed your brewing equipment and feel a bit guilty?

As long as the yeast was in good health at the end of the ferment, there is very little risk that the lager will not carbonate. The last batch that failed to carbonate for me was over 15 years ago, and it had more to do with underpitching a barleywine than anything else. OTOH, if you have the Safale packets on hand, it can't hurt.

And I like your second question - I've bought/made 4 systems over the years, and always had the feeling that the capital investments were not fully utilized... Current system is somewhat pricy brew sculpture co-owned by my brew partner. So do side batches represent ... infidelity?

Dos Locos

Thanks for the response, I bottled this before seeing a response so I added half a pack of S-04.

And we should be ashamed at our lack of fidelity...

I'd be interested to see the effect of the S-05 ale yeast in your lager.

What temp are you conditioning at? Lager or ale? Reminds me of an Anchor Steam setup.

I don't think it will be a steam, as I fermented at standard lager temps (below 50F) and lagered for about 3 months at around 40F. Only after that was the beer "conditioning" (read: waiting for me to find time to bottle it) at room temperature for a while.

Back