Moving hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckleHead

Reaction score
Im selling my house and don't know where or exactly when i'll be going....I'd like to dig up my hops and put in a bucket or pot till I move....might not be able to replant until spring if things take a while. Any suggestions on how to do this and how to store hops in a pot over the winter

You don't have to get the whole plant, just take a bunch of rhizomes (sp?). Around the base of the plant will be many roots running out just under the ground. Every eye and bud on these has the potential to be a new plant. Once it is cold and the plant has died back dig this up (its okay to cut through them as long as the pieces are not too small), keep them sealed in a bag in your fridge till early spring and plant them. Most of them will sprout into new hop plants. They will be small the first year, but get bigger quickly. This works well and one hop plant becomes many and you don't even have to kill the original.

Is it possible to save the root ball intact? These plants are 3 yrs old and i didnt want to start over if possible. I will keep rhizomes in the fridge if it is the only option but would prefer to keep the entire root system together if there is a way to do it.

Dig the ball and put into a pot. Put the pot in a garage. I have put them under a pile of leaves while in the pot so the don't freeze solid. Hopefully you can get a harvest where ever you go.

Dig the crown out and put it in a bucket or paper grocery bag filled with dirt, then put them in to the ground as soon as you can when you move. Simple as that.

That will work just fine but make sure it stays cool/cold during the winter or it will think its spring and try to sprout inside. If you save all of the pieces of the roots you have to cut off to get it out you have have a whole lot of 1st year plants too. Last year I had 2 hop plants, this year I have 30.

Latest posts

Back