odd flavor question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rl1373

Reaction score
I did a blue moon clone from my LHBS. I took a gravity reading at 9 days in. It had a starting gravity of 1.050 and it currently sits about 1.010. I tasted my sample and it had a banana flavor. I know this can sometimes be due to fermentation temperatures. The temperature of fermentation was a steady 69 degrees throughout the whole process. I pitched the yeast at 65 degrees. The yeast used was a Saf Ale WB.

Is the banana flavor due to it being a young beer? or is this something that will be part of the flavor. I know time cures alot of problems but will it cure this one? I was thinking at least another week primary and then secondary for a week for clearing. sound right?

thanks for the help again..

Safale WB is a Weizen yeast, it's supposed to give you some bananas. Interestingly enough, I didn't manage to get bananas from it for my Hefe when I tried (smelled like bananas during fermentation, but in the end the flavor was kind of bland)

As for temperature - 69 would already give you some banana, but do you mean the temperature on the fermenter was a steady 69F, or the ambient temperature? Wheats ferment very vigorously, unless you were doing some active temperature control, the fermenter may have risen all the way to 80F.

I had my fermenter in a rubertote container filled with water. The water temperature in the container was a constant 69 degrees. I'm not sure of the reading inside the fermenter. I would assume that the fermenter would maintain a similar temperature due to the volume of water (15 gallons) in the rubertote.

So i'm stuck with the banana flavor? Other question, I have a package of dried sweet orange peel. If I wanted additional orange flavor, can I still add? When should I add it? and last question, is this something where alot goes along way?

Latest posts

Back