Frozen Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Last night it got into the teens here. By the end of the week it is supposed to be 5*F. This is WAY colder than normal here.

Last night, I went to draw a pint of Dunkelweiss. The thermometer went DOWN a degree while I had the door open...

My kegerator is in the garage, next to the door. How do you people up north keep your kegs from freezing?

I am going to put a drop light in the kegerator for the next few nights. What size bulb should I use?

How about a heating pad? Hang it in there turned on? (Not a brand new one that has an auto-shutoff--darn safety measures) Those things put off quite a bit of heat and usually have a low/med/high setting.

My kegerator is in the garage, next to the door. How do you people up north keep your kegs from freezing?

By keeping them inside the house . :D

you can get a reptile heater but you will most likely have to use a temp controller so it don't get to warm same with the light bulb

By keeping them inside the house . :D

you can get a reptile heater but you will most likely have to use a temp controller so it don't get to warm same with the light bulb

I am thinking of moving some kegs into the closet in my office. The closet is not insulated and you can see your breath in there!

One of the small reptile heating pads would work.

I've used an 8 watt reptile pad to maintain 50F in an upright freezer when the outside temperature was in the high 20's, low 30's. The freezer would cycle on for ~5 minutes every ~8 hours or so with the pad.

I think I went overboard w/ my fermentation chamber heating, a 150w ceramic bulb is a little overkill for GA :D In any case I'm also monitoring my keezer temps, its been cold down here in Atlanta too.

I think I went overboard w/ my fermentation chamber heating, a 150w ceramic bulb is a little overkill for GA :D In any case I'm also monitoring my keezer temps, its been cold down here in Atlanta too.

Yeah, I'm thinking a 60 watt in a drop light should do it. I need to see if we have a reptile pad or bulb, my sons have had toads and snakes.

Back