The Twelve Hopostles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good! I'm going to change it a little to make it a 5 gallon batch, hope you don't mind. I've got it with a little weird hop schedule, but it should work!

Brewing St. Simon tonight on the Simple Brewery:

Simon_Zealot1.png

Can't believe I didn't see this thread before :p Looks great!
One question: How do you continuously hop, using the 10 minute increments or a device?

This is a great idea. I may try some of these ideas over the summer, i've been looking for a way to expand my knowledge of hops and i think you just led me to it!

Very cool idea. I think you are on to something. I got to you on a cross-post in the hop growing forum. Some people there (including me) are looking for specific recipes where they can use the hops they've grown. You certainly should get a taste of the hops in those recipes as they seem to use quite a bit of hops compared to what I usually use in a beer.

Cool do you have a link? I love reading about growing hops. I want to do it, but it hasn't made it to the top of the priority list yet.

St. Simon dropped to 1.007 !!!! Whoa. I'll have to double check that again tonight.

St. Simon is awesome. Best IPA I have made BY FAR. I have been confounded by IPAs but this time I changed my water and I think that is what did it. I will do a full review tonight.

Let's start with some pictures. I am awful at photography and beer seems to make me look even worse, but here are some shots...

Saint_Simon_II.JPG

Saint_Simon_I.JPG

Saint Simon has a very nice golden color (looks a bit lighter than the pictures show) with a great white head (captured fairly well). It has a pleasant hop haze from the dry hopping but the beer is otherwise clear. It looks like the typical dry hopped ale (think SNPA). I cannot for the life of me show clarity in photographs. Even when I have crystal clear beer it still looks opaque??? Maybe combo of bad camera, bad lighting, and not taking the time to try and figure it out. Oh well, you get the point.

Here is what my brewlog looks like (if you want larger images, search the gallery for Twelve Hopostles):

Brewlog_-_Saint_Simon_Page_02.png

Brewlog_-_Saint_Simon_Page_03.png

Brewlog_-_Saint_Simon_Page_04.png

Brewlog_-_Saint_Simon_Page_05.png

Brewlog_-_Saint_Simon_Page_06.png

Brewlog_-_Saint_Simon_Page_07.png

Brewlog_-_Saint_Simon_Page_08.png

Brewlog_-_Saint_Simon_Page_09.png

-----------> continued

Brewlog_-_Saint_Simon_Page_10.png

Brewlog_-_Saint_Simon_Page_11.png

Brewlog_-_Saint_Simon_Page_12.png

That should help any questions on how to brew this (like I did anyway).

Tasting notes (same as on page 6 above):

Aroma: 7/12
Hops are surrounded by cinnamon and other spices. Cocoa powder, fig, and warm alcohol are also present. Definitely strange for an IPA, but pleasant and tantalizingly different.

Appearance: 3/3
A nice dry-hop haze (which I like to see). Amber gold color with a good clarity. Strong white head that forms nice lacing.

Taste: 15/20
Malt base is subtle but strong enough to support the hops. Bitterness is firm but not overpowering. Hop flavor crescendos to the finish. Hops linger on the tongue and the bitterness is a bit dry in the aftertaste. The general hop profile is more spicy than expected. The floweryness of the Centennials comes through but the spice is what catches my attention.

Mouthfeel: 4/5
Nice full texture that dries well at the finish. Only downside is a perceived dryness from the hops. This would probably score some 3/5's as well but I like the way it feels a bit like eating a raw hop...

Overall: 7/10
A very interesting beer with the spices. Definitely the best IPA I have made so far and an above average IPA overall. I might be persuaded to change this to a 6/10 but I think the 7/10 is fair.

Total: 36/50
I would say 34/50 would be accurate as well...

I'm going to try one or two of these, definitely starting with the hallertau. I would do the Saaz but I'm low on that hop after doing a pilsner. I will try it later this summer. I'd be real interested in a trade if you want to try some.

Just wondering BK, you mentioned that your water adjustment really made a nice difference. How did you build the water? Cut your tap water with distilled? Any idea on the mineral ppm numbers?

Edit: Holy cow that's alot of hops for my 12 gallon batch :O I'll definitely be bagging this one.

26.00 lb Pale Malt (2 row) Ger (3.5 SRM) Grain 89.7 %
3.00 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
4.00 oz Hallertauer [3.60%] (60 min) Hops 19.0 IBU
3.00 oz Hallertauer [3.60%] (50 min) Hops 13.6 IBU
3.00 oz Hallertauer [3.60%] (40 min) Hops 12.5 IBU
3.00 oz Hallertauer [3.60%] (30 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
3.00 oz Hallertauer [3.60%] (20 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
3.00 oz Hallertauer [3.60%] (10 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.50 oz Hallertauer [3.60%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
3.00 oz Hallertauer [3.60%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

I have not yet, but yes in a week or two at latest. I need more hallertau. Already got my amber malt for it. I think I will use my White labs kolsch yeast for this, nice and cool. Whatcha think of that?

Cool idea. I haven't had an IPA with K. yeast but it sounds like a good idea now that you mention it. Maybe ferment it warm around 68 and see how the fruity esters play with the noble hops.... let me know, it could be great!

OK, got me lots more Hallertauer, and its a higher AA crop from Puterbaugh. Going to brew this within the next week. Still undecided yeast, its between WL kolsch or WL california. I kept the lower AA hops later in the boil. here's how I revised the recipe for 11.6 gallon:

25.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.3 %
3.00 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 10.7 %
2.00 oz Hallertauer 2 [6.40%] (60 min) Hops 17.7 IBU
1.70 oz Hallertauer 2 [6.40%] (50 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
1.70 oz Hallertauer 2 [6.40%] (40 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
1.70 oz Hallertauer 2 [6.40%] (30 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
3.00 oz Hallertauer [3.60%] (20 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
3.00 oz Hallertauer [3.60%] (10 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
1.50 oz Hallertauer [3.60%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

Gotta run it by the main brain first of course!

This is a great idea... I may try doing this with 12 one gallon batches just for my own education.

OK, got me lots more Hallertauer, and its a higher AA crop from Puterbaugh. Going to brew this within the next week. Still undecided yeast, its between WL kolsch or WL california. I kept the lower AA hops later in the boil. here's how I revised the recipe for 11.6 gallon:

25.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.3 %
3.00 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 10.7 %
2.00 oz Hallertauer 2 [6.40%] (60 min) Hops 17.7 IBU
1.70 oz Hallertauer 2 [6.40%] (50 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
1.70 oz Hallertauer 2 [6.40%] (40 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
1.70 oz Hallertauer 2 [6.40%] (30 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
3.00 oz Hallertauer [3.60%] (20 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
3.00 oz Hallertauer [3.60%] (10 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
1.50 oz Hallertauer [3.60%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

Gotta run it by the main brain first of course!

I vote for the Cali yeast (nice and clean) so you get all the benefit of the single hop bomb.

I will do the Centennial soon.

Brewed St. Andrew's Hallertau IPA last night. Hit 1.070 spot on, used the adaption that I posted. I ended up doing it with no hop bag on the ditches :) I relied on whirlpooling to handle the pellets. It was 16 oz of hallertau in the boil :eek: Of course I got some pellet in the fermenters but I don't mind. I pitched at 64 and will ferment at 65. Pitched a huge amount of washed WLP 001 from a batch I racked a week ago. Had about 6 hours lag time :mug: now its foamed up nice.

Looking forward to this stuff! Love me some noble hops.

I didn't read the entire thread but any reason why these are 4 gallon batches and not 5?

My system brews four gallons at a time. The Beersmith files are there if you need to scale it up or down.

That makes sense. Thanks.

I am new to beersmith but is there a way to change it to gallons and lbs instead of liters and kg?

Just found this thread, but this is an awesome idea! I will be downloading all the Beersmith files when I get home tonight. These are added to the 'To Do' list.

How come 5 of them are giving "The Shocker" sign?

Actually that hand sign is to represent the concept of the Trinity. Look for it in a lot of early church images.

Instead of Judas period, you could use Paul or Matthias depending on your theology. I'd go with Paul. :)

Brewed St. Andrew's Hallertau IPA last night. Hit 1.070 spot on, used the adaption that I posted. I ended up doing it with no hop bag on the ditches :) I relied on whirlpooling to handle the pellets. It was 16 oz of hallertau in the boil :eek: Of course I got some pellet in the fermenters but I don't mind. I pitched at 64 and will ferment at 65. Pitched a huge amount of washed WLP 001 from a batch I racked a week ago. Had about 6 hours lag time :mug: now its foamed up nice.

Looking forward to this stuff! Love me some noble hops.

How'd it turn out??

How'd it turn out??

It is one unique beer... quite tasty. The amber malt that i got ended up being a little too prominent. It was a little one-dimensionally toasty, a bit too much so. If I did it again I'd cut the amber that I had in half.
The hop character however was awesome. It was grassy, but only pleasantly so. Hallertau is something different when you go overboard with it, very interesting.
I still have a few bombers left. I'll taste it again tonight. Everyone that has tried it (even non-craft beer folks) really enjoyed it.

I want to try the Saaz one sometime :D

So I just came across this thread when I was searching on the name of my blog, "The Hopostle". It prompted me to write a post...check it out here. This is a great idea for a series of beers. Have any others been made in the last two years? Thanks for the cool idea and great blogpost fodder :)

Latest posts

Back