WLP400 and sulphur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtpro

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Wit with WLP400, and after about 2.5 weeks in primary there is a definite funk coming off the beer, when I tried the FG sample it was pretty tasty with just a hint of a gross smell coming off of it. I know this yeast is known for some sulphur by-products, but I'm not even sure if thats what this is. What the diagnosis, leave it on the yeast longer til it clears up? Will this smell dissipate in the bottle at all?

This has always been my experience with this yeast. Tastes worse than funky when it's young. I'm going with a longer primary next time to see if that doesn't help things a bit, but it will be fine in a few weeks.

thanks, I hope it turns out alright anybody else have anything to offer from their experience?

I just did a Honey Brown Ale extract kit that had this yeast. My room literally smelled of rotten eggs for 2 days while this baby was fermenting away!

Back