Idea for a Pineapple Mango Mead, need all the help I can get.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnium

Reaction score
So I've lurked around, finally joined.
Here's what got me started on this. Lipton makes this Pineapple Mango Green Tea & Honey instant mix, and I cant get enough of the stuff.
But thinking along those lines with the honey, it sparked my interest into making a mead with pineapple, mango, and maybe some green tea.

I'm very new to this, I have a little wine making knowledge from helping my father do it for enough years, and have avid homebrewers for friends, but Ive never started it up myself.

So anyone wanna help me out with a recipe, or guide me into the right direction? I really want this thing bursting with sweet flavor.
Thanks!

I think I will answer in steps:

1. Tea - lots of folks add a few cups of strong brewed tea for flavor and tannins. I see no problems here.

2. Mango and pineapples - I would ferment just honey to dryness in primary, then I think I would add the fruit in secondary after primary fermentation is finished. This will avoid pH drops and provide more of the intense flavor you are looking for. After secondary is finished, you can backsweeten and stabilize as you desire.

I've recently discovered a starter of Wyeast 1388 with SNAs and potassium carbonate will yield mead ready in a month. It also produces fruity esters that would compliment this type of mead!

Pineapple wines/meads have a reputation for easily being rocket fuel needing a lot of aging to mellow out. So I agree with loveofrose. I would say make a base mead and then rack that on top of the flavors you want. A base mead for this based off of some of what loveofrose has mentioned would be:

1 gallon base mead

3lb honey (not a Walmart honey but preferably orange blossom or raw wild flower)
1 cup of a strong brewed green tea
1tsp potassium bicarbonate
1tsp yeast nutrient (DAP)
1/2tsp yeast energizer (any tan colored nutrient)
Water to 1 gallon
Yeast (Wyeast 1388)

With that mix up everything other than the the yeast and nutrients. When you add your nutrients you should do it in steps. I like to split it into 4 additions. 70% of the nutrients before pitching yeast and 10% every 24 hours till all gone. Once you mix it all up it is important to aerate it as much as possible. lots of shaking and whipping with wine whip or egg beater, just anything to whip O2 into the must. Then pitch your yeast. Stir well each time you add nutrients to release as much CO2 as you can. After about 3 weeks you can throw this into the fridge and that will help drop most of the yeast out in a week. At the 30 day mark you can siphon off the clear liquid onto 2lb of mango and 2lb of pineapple. And top up with green tea of needed. Wait another couple weeks to a month and you should be able to rack off the fruit. Rack every 30 days till there is no more sediment dropping out and then bottle.

Take my words with a grain of salt but that's what I might do.

I think I will answer in steps:

1. Tea - lots of folks add a few cups of strong brewed tea for flavor and tannins. I see no problems here.

2. Mango and pineapples - I would ferment just honey to dryness in primary, then I think I would add the fruit in secondary after primary fermentation is finished. This will avoid pH drops and provide more of the intense flavor you are looking for. After secondary is finished, you can backsweeten and stabilize as you desire.

I've recently discovered a starter of Wyeast 1388 with SNAs and potassium carbonate will yield mead ready in a month. It also produces fruity esters that would compliment this type of mead!

Ready in a month?! Impressive. And you definitely seem to know where I want to go with this. Thanks!

Pineapple wines/meads have a reputation for easily being rocket fuel needing a lot of aging to mellow out. So I agree with loveofrose. I would say make a base mead and then rack that on top of the flavors you want. A base mead for this based off of some of what loveofrose has mentioned would be:

1 gallon base mead

3lb honey (not a Walmart honey but preferably orange blossom or raw wild flower)
1 cup of a strong brewed green tea
1tsp potassium bicarbonate
1tsp yeast nutrient (DAP)
1/2tsp yeast energizer (any tan colored nutrient)
Water to 1 gallon
Yeast (Wyeast 1388)

With that mix up everything other than the the yeast and nutrients. When you add your nutrients you should do it in steps. I like to split it into 4 additions. 70% of the nutrients before pitching yeast and 10% every 24 hours till all gone. Once you mix it all up it is important to aerate it as much as possible. lots of shaking and whipping with wine whip or egg beater, just anything to whip O2 into the must. Then pitch your yeast. Stir well each time you add nutrients to release as much CO2 as you can. After about 3 weeks you can throw this into the fridge and that will help drop most of the yeast out in a week. At the 30 day mark you can siphon off the clear liquid onto 2lb of mango and 2lb of pineapple. And top up with green tea of needed. Wait another couple weeks to a month and you should be able to rack off the fruit. Rack every 30 days till there is no more sediment dropping out and then bottle.

Take my words with a grain of salt but that's what I might do.

Sounds like a solid plan. I'll have to gather up supplies this week after I help my father with his new wine batch.
Any idea of how ripe the fruit should be?

For the fruit, I recomend that you freeze the fruit and thaw it. This breaks up the cell walls and helps render more juice. Pectic Enzyme is also a good idea but not fully neccessary.

For Mangos, I recomend the blanching method of removing the skins and then slice out the seed prior to freezing. Blanching method is boiling water and having a bowl of ice water near by. You put the fruit in the boiling water for a few moments, like about a minute then drop strait into the bowl of ice water. The skin should just be albe to rub off easily. Then be careful not to cut yourself (it's slipery) to cut out the seed. put the fruit into a zip lock and into the freezer.

For the pineapple, just slice off the outer skin and then chop into 1-2 inch chunks. And into a zip lock. Freeze and thaw.

Take the thaw and into a big bowl with some pectic enzyme if you are using it or just put into a mesh back, squish it a bit in your brew bucket with a potato masher. Then all of it, including any juices, into your bucket with the mead. Leave for about a month, then remove the pulp. It will then need time to clear, then age.

Even if it's "Done in a month" you will still need to age it for 6-8 months for the best flavor. It has been my experience that Tea also helps in the clearing process.

Matrix

I also saw some Pineapple Peach Mango Juice from Dole at Sams club, there were no preservatives in it. Just thought I would post it here incase you may want to try a juice route.

Never did like using a pre-packaged product for fruit. If you want to replicate the flavor you would need that same product again. I prefer to use juice that I made or the fruit.

Matrix

Good advice from all here. Just wanted to clarify one thing. My recipe using Wyeast 1388 is under Brays One Month Mead (BOMM). If you follow that recipe exactly as stated, it is ready to drink is one month. I don't mean done fermenting or tolerable. I mean delicious. I did extensive testing over at gotmead and it has now been repeated by other members. I know it's very hard to believe, but I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. Try it! You will like it!

It has not been tested with a melomel, so I can make no promises there!

Back