Making the jump, looking at 120 versus 240

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 1500w elements are going to be much slower and struggle to boil compared to a 240v system... plus I dont know of any ulwd (or even lwd off hand)120v elements so he would have to be careful when brewing heavy beers I've read many have to wrap towels around the kettle to insulate just to achieve a weak boil.
curios how much do you boil at once and do you need to insulate your kettle?

I only do 5 gal batches currently. I am not "planing" on doing larger ones but I also never really planed to go electric at one point either.

Here is the element I'm currently looking at.

http://amzn.to/1PvYMIX

That's the one I've been using for years though I think mine might be 4800 W. You can buy them a Home depot BTW.

I assume your pot has two holes for elements, did you find a way to plug your other element hole?

If they have those at the 'Depot I may pick that up tomorrow when I put this together with my buddy. I'll more than likely put another ball valve or even a bulkhead and plug.

I'll also look at getting some insulation, but I rarely brew on real cold days. I guess I can now brew in the garage with the door closed. That's gonna be awesome.

I only do 5 gal batches currently. I am not "planing" on doing larger ones but I also never really planed to go electric at one point either.

Here is the element I'm currently looking at.

http://amzn.to/1PvYMIX

get the ripple version....That version may work ok but its still not as ideal as the ripple ones. the one linked above is advertised as ultra low watt density because of the surface material not because it actually is.. with water it behaves that way and fights calcium buildup..... Being as short as it is and as many watts as it is the actual math doesnt work... its low watt density... Home depot should have the wavy ripple ones too ...ace hardware sells them that the brand name on mine although they are made by the same people who make the ones camco brands as thier own.

@augiedoggie

Man, I wish I had a window in that room but I don't. The whole room including the sink toilet shower in pocket door access is close to 12 by 15 feet. There are no windows but there is an outside wall, the problem is that wall is also where the vent stack is so I can't put in a window.

Where I am likely to be able to setup my future electric brewery, I sadly have a window...that will likely be covered up by that point because of a planned addition in a couple of years. Once we do the planned tear down and rebuild of our garage (bigger and better! With mudroom), the laundry will be moved, so I can convert the existing basement laundry room to an electric brewery (possibility that electric brewery may go in rebuilt garage and laundry will stay where it is).

I know it can easily be done with 4000w... even 3500w is plenty for boiling 5 gallon brews but I was under the impression that 3000w is borderline without help like insulation...

I did a Barley Wine a few weeks ago with two of Bobby's hot rods and 1500 watt elements. Boiled 8.75 gallons just fine.

Latest posts

Back