How much better is 240 v?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srdjan Ostric

Reaction score
Compared to the 120 v... Currently I just use the 120 volt regular plug-in for the anvil foundry all in one and I want to get a 240 volt in my garage which I will have a electrician install. How much faster will it make the machine go? How much quicker will I get to mash temp and how much quicker will I get to boil temp?

will be quicker. but either will get the job done and use the same total kilowatts at the end of the day.

120v is 1600 watts and 240v is 2800 watts for a 75% power increase. It looks like you'll save about 20 minutes just on the strike water heatup, then another 10-12 minutes to ramp to a boil. Not only that, you'll have a lot more options for what kind of boil vigor you want. I haven't been too impressed with 7 gallons boiling on 1600 watts.

1663682992845.png

1663683044739.png

Side note. The biggest component to any electrical contractor job is showing up + labor hours for the work. I would ask for two quotes. One should just be a 240v circuit to support the exact needs of the foundry. 240v @ 15amps (preferably on a GFCI breaker). The other should be a 240v @ 30 amp (4 wire to the box) preferably on a GFCI breaker.

The latter can immediately be used for the foundry, but then you'd have the option of a future upgrade to a system that uses a 5500 watt element without really needing an electrician to get involved. If the added cost is only a couple hundred and you can swing it, I recommend that.

120v is 1600 watts and 240v is 2800 watts for a 75% power increase. It looks like you'll save about 20 minutes just on the strike water heatup, then another 10-12 minutes to ramp to a boil. Not only that, you'll have a lot more options for what kind of boil vigor you want. I haven't been too impressed with 7 gallons boiling on 1600 watts.

View attachment 781446
View attachment 781448

Side note. The biggest component to any electrical contractor job is showing up + labor hours for the work. I would ask for two quotes. One should just be a 240v circuit to support the exact needs of the foundry. 240v @ 15amps (preferably on a GFCI breaker). The other should be a 240v @ 30 amp (4 wire to the box) preferably on a GFCI breaker.

The latter can immediately be used for the foundry, but then you'd have the option of a future upgrade to a system that uses a 5500 watt element without really needing an electrician to get involved. If the added cost is only a couple hundred and you can swing it, I recommend that.
What calculator are you using, and does it make any allowance for heat lost to the environment from the vessel walls?

Brew on :mug:

What calculator are you using, and does it make any allowance for heat lost to the environment from the vessel walls?

Brew on :mug:
Those numbers assumed 100% efficiency. At 90% efficiency, the times would be 47 and 26 minutes respectively and more in line with what I remember when playing around with the Anvil. To really know what the efficiency is, trials would have to be done.

Let's just say that the 120v option is really slow. And the 240v option is as fast as my propane burner system was with way less effort. And my saison is great

Back