Amylase Enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickeldeposit

Reaction score
I forgot to add Amylase Enzyme to my primary. I’m going to add it into the keg but how fast will it work?

What are you expecting it to do? Was your FG way too high? Are you going to keep the keg warm to let the yeast keep working?

Amylase is not a typical addition - it's already in the grains most of the time.

amylase is the enzyme that converts starch to sugar during mashing...why would you add it to your primary, keg, or ever? Your grain has this built in...it is activated by mash water temps....

Amylase enzyme is often used in the making of American and Japanese style lagers where a dry crisp ultra attenuation is desired. AE is added to the secondary or condition tank to take the beer down to the lowest level possible. The AE will convert the remaining convertibles and the beer will be brought down to maximum attenuation.

If you were shooting for a ultra crisp max attenuated American lager and you missed it in the secondary then you need to calculate how much convertibles were left when kegged and their affect on final CO2. Kegged you most likely be looking at undesirable levels of CO2 and foaming will likely be the result. If you have a CO2 gauge then go ahead and bleed off excess CO2

Mateo:

Thats exactly what I was making, but I missed the enzyme addition. I may try to just add the AE and see how low it will finish out. Thanks for everyones help.

Back