Movie theater poprcon, will it mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a near unlimited supply of movie theater popcorn (my brother is a custodian at a theater). I was wondering if I mixed it with amylase enzymes, or distillers malt. Could I covert to popcorn to sugar? I am choosing to overlook the salt and artificial butter as flavor impacts.

Last edited:
It will probably convert, but I wouldn't mash it in the same equipment that I brew beer with. The oils would make getting the equipment clean a real PITA.

Also, diacetyl (the artificial butter flavor) has a boiling point of 190°F (88°C), so you will get lots of it in the distilled spirit (yuk.) You might be able to reduce the amount in the spirit with a good column still, but not with a pot still. Acetoin (the other major flavor component of artificial butter) has a boiling point of 298°F (148°C), so very little of it would make it into the spirit with any still.

Brew on :mug:

why-would-you-5cd581.jpg

If you like a butter bomb...

Didn't notice which forum this was in at first. I still don't think I'd do it (pun or not). But I guess one advantage with popped corn is that you know the starch was very well gelatinized.

I suppose you could try cold steeping it to start. At least some of the oils should float, right?

Latest posts

Back