Fermentation and backsweetening question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarathustra19

Reaction score
Hey all,
This is my second cider ever, and the first with which I've used gravity readings and experimentation with different yeasts. I used 3.3 gallons of Simply Apple juice and a smack pack of Wyeast lambic blend (on the advice of my local homebrew shop owner for added tartness). I racked this batch to the secondary on friday, 5/11 and it was still fairly sweet with a good sour character. I just measured the gravity yesterday and found that it had reached 1.001, far below my predicted bottom end of 1.013. Thus, its a little too dry to support the sour character I wanted.

My first question to you cider gurus is this: is it normal for cider to reach such a low final gravity? I know the fructose in the juice is completely fermentable, but beersmith predicted the 1.013 bottom end. I'm just curious, as I plan to backsweeten to regain some of the complexity I'm looking for.

Which leads me to my second question: if I backsweeten with the same apple juice I used to make this cider, will I get back some of the apple character I seem to have lost? Or should I stick with something like corn sugar or cane sugar? I'd like to get as much apple flavor as I can without bringing the cider out of balance with the lactic acid I've worked so hard to get in there.

Thanks for any help.

Zach

You could use the same juice. That'll add volume also. Frozen concentrate (thawed) works great. You'll be adding much more flavor with a lot less volume. For 3 gals add 2 to 3 12 oz containers of concentrate (Add a couple and taste test). Check out UpstateMike's Carmel Apple cider thread. That's a good example of backsweetening and it's good stuff.

Back