Need help with moving Beersmith to a new (and old) computer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Love story, but I'm getting a new laptop tomorrow (Yay!) and I am doing a total system restore on the current Windows 7 desktop.

I can NOT figure out how to do this! If I export the files, they seem to go just fine- but then I can't pick them up again. I'm moving all pictures and files I want to save to an external portable harddrive.

how can I do this with Beersmith???? It's making me crazy!

I always enjoy a good love story.

I think all your recipes and equipment profiles are saved in the Beersmith2 folder in your Documents folder. As long as you back that folder up and put it back after reinstalling Beersmith, you should be fine.

Your software activation is different, though. Make sure you have your activation key, or at least access to the original email address you registered it with.

Can you upload them to your beersmith cloud. Then you can pluck them from there to any mac/pc you are using.

That's what I did when my ailing PC was about to give up the ghost.

Granted my recipe section would be but a meagre offering sitting next to your trove of recipes but I can't see why it wouldn't work. The file sizes are tiny.

The same can be done with the brewlog so all iterations of a recipe can be sent to the cloud I believe.

Why don't you just write them all down on pen and paper and then re-enter them when your new comp is up and running?

I kid, I kid... :drunk:

I would try both of the previous suggestions by Gavin and calebgk, that way if one way does not work, you have a backup. Nothing better than system redundancy!

Log in to beersmith.com. Someone there will have the exact answer. Or use the cloud. Or export to stick and then import. I think that's how I did it.

When I got a new computer this past summer, I compressed the beersmith folder in the program files(x86). My recipe files are in that folder so that everything is in one place. You may need to also compress the beersmith files in your 'my recipes' folder.

Using a thumb drive I transferred and expanded both folders in the appropriate place on the new folder.

Everything worked like it came preinstalled.

Back