New to cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
Forgot the Irish Moss on my recent 2 Hearted clone, plan on cold crashing a bit later to help clear. How long and at what temp? Does yeast ever completely drop out? Need some yeast in bottle to create co2 right?

Just put it in the fridge (temp isn't a huge deal, but the closer to 32F, the faster it works) and let it sit for 2-3 days before you bottle.

The yeast won't drop out enough by then to create a bottling problem.

I just cold crashed for the first time and put it in the keezer at about 35F for almost a week. A couple of days before kegging, I added gelatin. I had amazingly clear beer for the first time ever.

I just cold crashed for the first time and put it in the keezer at about 35F for almost a week. A couple of days before kegging, I added gelatin. I had amazingly clear beer for the first time ever.

Honestly, I find gelatin to be a waste of time. A good cold crash along with a solid racking technique will clear up just about any beer. I pour perfectly clear beers from my system without any help from other ingredients. I don't even use Irish moss anymore.

I guess my influence comes from the fact that my boss is a vegan and loves my beer. If I put gelatin in it, then he couldn't drink it.

I agree with Suthrncomfrt. I don't use any finings (whirlfloc, irish moss, gelatin) and I get perfectly clear beer. Using good technique you don't need anything to help.

Back