Prairie Bomb! Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is an old thread, but figured I’d resurrect it. I just got all the ingredients for this beer. I’ll be brewing it this coming Monday. I’m excited to see how it turns out. Got the same brand of coffee Prairie uses even. I hoping it’s tasty...even if it’s not an exact clone.

For yeast I’m using the Darkness from Imperial Yeast. A high alcohol tolerance yeast that from the description says it’s good in dark beers.

I did a Xocoveza a few weeks ago with Darkness and was generally happy with it--I wish it had ended up a bit lower in gravity, but I'm chalking it up to the lactose I have in there (1.104-1.031)

Brewed my batch today. It went well. Hit 1.106 into the fermenter. I’ll be monitoring with my Tilt. I haven’t received my coffee yet (haven’t heard a peep from the company actually) but I’ll get that squared away in due time.

Made a big starter and then prior to pitching decanted and then added wort from the batch to the flask and put it back on the stir plate to get the yeast woken up and ready to go. It was on the stir plate for about 4hrs and then pitched. I’ll be surprised if it’s not ripping when I wake up.

Looking forward to tasting it in 3 months!

Brewed my batch today. It went well. Hit 1.106 into the fermenter. I’ll be monitoring with my Tilt. I haven’t received my coffee yet (haven’t heard a peep from the company actually) but I’ll get that squared away in due time.

Made a big starter and then prior to pitching decanted and then added wort from the batch to the flask and put it back on the stir plate to get the yeast woken up and ready to go. It was on the stir plate for about 4hrs and then pitched. I’ll be surprised if it’s not ripping when I wake up.

Looking forward to tasting it in 3 months!
Did you pull wort pre-boil or post-boil for this? Just curious, I've never done a delayed pitch post-boil.

Did you pull wort pre-boil or post-boil for this? Just curious, I've never done a delayed pitch post-boil.

Post boil and post chill. Look up vitality starter. Kristen England has talke about it in a few places. Also, I know Brulosophy talks about it and I think there’s something about it in the last BYO issue (just got the newest one today).

This was brewed, kegged and is now on tap. It is tasting really nice. I took it to my brew club meeting and folks were really enjoying it. I brew 2.5 gallon batches with 3.25 gallons going into the fermenter. After adjustment with my brewing software I feel like a little bit more vanilla and a little bit more ancho chili is in order. I may still do that with the beer that I have remaining in the keg. But then again I may just drink it as it is because it is pretty tasty. It does not taste like prairie bomb because of the lack of sufficient spice. But it is still a very good beer.

Back