Cold crashed too early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanwallner

Reaction score
Fermented a Smoked brown ale for three weeks at 68 degrees. Before sampling it I got cocky and crashed it overnight at 40 degrees. Sampled today before kegging and it's green apple slightly. I'm hoping it's just a green beer. I'm trying to warm it back up. Should I use some yeast nutrient or amylase. Thanks

Seanwallner said:
Fermented a Smoked brown ale for three weeks at 68 degrees. Before sampling it I got cocky and crashed it overnight at 40 degrees. Sampled today before kegging and it's green apple slightly. I'm hoping it's just a green beer. I'm trying to warm it back up. Should I use some yeast nutrient or amylase. Thanks

Acetaldehyde... you didn't crash too early, IMHO... it'll be gone within 24-48 hours, per my experience. No biggie ;)

3 weeks at 68 should have finished fermentation. Did you check your FG and was it the same for a few days? I would bottle and let it condition.

I dont bottle. I keg so I didnt want to do it to early. Bright Spot thats what I was hoping but I thought maybe I could speed it up by speeding up the yeasties. You dont think its neccesary? I figured three weeks was plenty as thats how i do all my beers. I didnt check fg. I got lazy.

Seanwallner said:
I dont bottle. I keg so I didnt want to do it to early. Bright Spot thats what I was hoping but I thought maybe I could speed it up by speeding up the yeasties. You dont think its neccesary? I figured three weeks was plenty as thats how i do all my beers. I didnt check fg. I got lazy.

Your yeast has done most of its work already. From what I've experienced, acetaldehyde diminishes as the beer chills... I would not warm it back up. Keg, carbonate, and enjoy. It'll take care of itself. My guess is you used either WLP001, Wyeast 1056, or US-05? Very common, if so. Cheers!

Update: yes brightspot it was s05 but I've never experienced this before. Anyhow let it go another week in primary at room temp and tried it last night. Voila. Perfect smoked brown ale. Put her on the gas. Thanks for your input. Next time I know better to sample before getting ahead of my self. Cheers

Seanwallner said:
Update: yes brightspot it was s05 but I've never experienced this before. Anyhow let it go another week in primary at room temp and tried it last night. Voila. Perfect smoked brown ale. Put her on the gas. Thanks for your input. Next time I know better to sample before getting ahead of my self. Cheers

Great, man! Cheers to patience ;)

Latest posts

Back