Newbie question for using CaraPils in a Pilsener

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobW44

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first question to this forum (great forum, btw). I've brewed a few ales with great success using extracts and steeped grains. I'm now ready to take the plunge into a lager. I've read a good deal on the forums and have a question regarding the lager recipe.

The reipce calls for 1# of CaraPils. I'm wondering if I can steep at 150°F in 1/2 gal water for 45 minutes? I'm not equipped for mashing so I'm hopeful steeping will suffice. Or. would just abandoning the CaraPils and substituting some DME or LME (and how much) be a better way to go?

A full pound of CaraPils in a five gallon extract beer is way too much IMO. Most CaraPils should be mashed but if you take a 1/2 pound and 1 quart of water and keep that at 150F for 45 minutes you will have done a simple mini-mash. Take the other quart of water from your 1/2 gallon heat it to 170F and rinse the steeped grains then proceed to your boil with extract additions.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm brewing tomorrow or the next day and want to be ready. As a follow-up question, after my 2-gal boil (per the recipe), and after chilling to 70°F, can I use 3 gal of chilled make-up water (like at 38°F) to end up at a 50°F 5 gallon batch ? If so, is there a need to add slowly or is it ok to pour all at once? Or what do you suggest?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm brewing tomorrow or the next day and want to be ready. As a follow-up question, after my 2-gal boil (per the recipe), and after chilling to 70°F, can I use 3 gal of chilled make-up water (like at 38°F) to end up at a 50°F 5 gallon batch ? If so, is there a need to add slowly or is it ok to pour all at once? Or what do you suggest?

That sounds fine. I don't think it matters how fast you dump it in but a more vigorous pour might create additional aeration which is a good thing.

Thanks BigEd, I'll go with the chilled-water pour method then and hope for a good brew.

Back