rhizome storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPhunk

Reaction score
So my 4 rhizomes are arriving monday along with 4lbs of hops to tide me over for a couple of months. I don't have my trellis built yet and was wondering what to do with the rhizomes until I can get my garden bed built and trellis up (1 week most likely)

Thanks in advance.

I kept mine in the plastic bag, and put in the veggie drawer of my refridgerator. I tried to keep some humidity in the bag without getting soggy. So, I'd check the bag every few days. If there was excess droplets inside the bag, I'd leave the bag open for a few days. If it was a bit dry, I'd put a small damp paper towl (wrung out) in the corner of the bag and fold over the bag end.

They kept fine for over 2 weeks before I planted them.

Good luck!
--LexusChris

p.s. do not put them in the freezer, or otherwise freeze them!

I think both answers are good. A bucket of compost is great. All my hops that I initially got I kept in plastic bags with a wet paper towels on top and bottom. Always damp, never 'drowning'. Frankly I"m starting to think the plastic bag with wet paper towels is like a mini-green house and it really gets the rhizome going. I've taken cuttings to trade or sell, and I just leave them on the counter and they just take off.

You'll be fine if you don't freeze them or drown them. :)

Latest posts

Back