Rhizome growing help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richwljones

Reaction score
Hi, newbie hops grower here, UK based. Just a quick question... I planted my rhizomes over a month ago and I'm still yet to see a shoot appear above ground. Should I assume it's failed by now? Advise appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, newbie hops grower here, UK based. Just a quick question... I planted my rhizomes over a month ago and I'm still yet to see a shoot appear above ground. Should I assume it's failed by now? Advise appreciated. Thanks.
It seems I was over eager with my original post. As luck would have it and getting home from work to check.. I've now got this beauty showing. That was NOT there yesterday! :)

Side q.. how many shoots should I expect from a single rhizome?

Attachments

• 20220414_174056.jpg
    20220414_174056.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
@richwljones glad to see they are alive. I planted mine about 5 cm down, but there will be better guides out there than me I am no expert. It it usually suggested to just let it do its own thing in the first year as it needs as much photosynthesis as possible to put down roots and build itself up. In later years there is more energy stored in the rhizome/roots for you to cut back to the desired number of shoots. I am just letting my first gold do its thing, it was from a small 5cm rhizome, so I don't want to cut back anything this year

It seems I was over eager with my original post. As luck would have it and getting home from work to check.. I've now got this beauty showing. That was NOT there yesterday! :)

Side q.. how many shoots should I expect from a single rhizome?
Your first year won't have very many shoots. Depending on the size of your rhizome, you could have more than one. As has been said, keep it watered, and let it do its thing. Give it something tall to climb, plenty of sunlight, and next year, you'll have a much bigger plant. It takes about 3 years for it to get to full production, so don't expect any cones the first year. You may have some, but maybe not enough to use. After year three, you will have to start trimming the rhizomes back. Otherwise they'll try to take over your yard. I'd recommend making some kind of barrier around them to keep the roots contained. They will go down as far as 30 cm, so make your barrier that deep to prevent them from taking over your yard. And the barrier should be about a meter in diameter.

Quick update to my original post and another question to ask the community... As you'll see from the pics I'm about to upload, I've had 2 shoots from my rhizome with one of them doing really well, but the other stopping quite short and looking like it's had it's terminal bud removed :( (possibly chewed off by one of my pet cats!). Is there any way to save this shoot now? As you can see it's fallen well behind the growth of the second shoot. I'd like to see it play catch up somehow. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20220517_153605.jpg
    20220517_153605.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220517_153702.jpg
    20220517_153702.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Richwljones they look like new plants forming from rhizomes, if that is the case let them do their thing this first year. Just water regularly and keep the ground mulched to enhance root growth.

Back