Ed worts Haus ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunden

Reaction score
Has anyone done the extract version of this? If so, can you share any information. I am going to order all the ingrediants tommoroww from AHS. His directions say to do a full boil, but I am only capable of 4gallons, so I would have to add a gallonof water to my carboy...I think this would be ok or do you guys think I would need to make adjustments.

Every time I've done this with extract has been with partial mashes, which are easy and I recommend them. Just make sure you have excellent sanitation, ferment below 70f, and hit your gravities. By hitting gravities, I mean you should shoot for an OG of 1.045 or above.

For partial mash, you just load up a strainer bag with the Vienna, Crystal malt, and maybe a few pounds of base malt replacing some of the extract (see death brewer's brew in a bag thread). Go with 1.1 quarts per pound, and hold the mash at the temperature Edwort calls for, for about 1 hour. Vienna needs to be mashed anyways, so why not throw in a few pounds of base malt to save money and add flavor?

The last extract beer I made was a partial mash Haus Pale, but with only 2 pounds of extract, the rest was grain. It was maybe my 3rd best beer so far.

I did the "mini-mash" and it turned out great. It must have been one of the quickest bottle conditions beers I have ever done. I used his oven method which turned out great. Really a good and easy brew.

Back