Question on Yeast Starter Procedure in Brew Wiki

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
Brew Wiki says:
Bring one pint of water to a boil in a two quart saucepan on the stove top.
Reduce the heat, add one half cup of Dry Malt Extract (DME) to the water,
Put the cool wort into an approximately half gallon (~2L) container.

That's not a big volume, so why the 2L container. I followed directions exactly and can't help but wonder why there's all that head room in there.

:confused:

That wiki article won't really help you get a decent starter. Anything that small won't contain enough sugar to really grow the yeast much. I always use at least a 2qt starter, and some 5 gallon beers can require up to a one gallon starter. I all depends on the OG of the wort into which the yeast is pitched.

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator This will tell you exactly how big of a starter you need.

That wiki article won't really help you get a decent starter. Anything that small won't contain enough sugar to really grow the yeast much. I always use at least a 2qt starter, and some 5 gallon beers can require up to a one gallon starter. I all depends on the OG of the wort into which the yeast is pitched.

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator This will tell you exactly how big of a starter you need.

Well ****. Made this 2 days ago and will be pitching on my brew day tomorrow. Think it'll be fine?

It'll be fine, and it does ensure healthy yeast, but it just really doesn't grow the cell count.

Unless I'm making a lager, or a bigger beer (over 1.070 or so), I usually do a pint starter. I know it could be bigger and I do look at mrmalty.com's pitching calculator, but I've had good results with a pint starter.

It's enough to reproduce yeast, and reduce your lag time.

Back