Slight Haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokinnitro

Reaction score
While drinking our third Batch (recipe below) the beer still has a haze to it (not quite clear). What can I do to get the beer clear?

Recipe:
1lb crystal malt 10l steeped till boil after boil starts remove crystal and add 7lbs pale lme start 60min timer when boil resumes. Add 1oz Citra hop after first 15mins. Add. 5oz Citra after 45 min then add another 5oz with 5mins left. Used a large tub with cold tap water to cool my wort in brew kettle to 75 degrees strain into fermented and pitch wp001 yeast. Ferment 7 days rack into secondary age for 1 week. Rack into soda keg and co2 at 20 psi for 2 days

You can Whirlfloc 5 minutes before the boil ends next time. For now, you could crash cool. Get it really cold for a while and it may settle down. But if not, just enjoy it.

For your steeping, use about 160F for 30 minutes then pull the grains. I think leaving them in until the water starts to boil just invites protein that can aggravate haze.

As others have said, let it sit a couple weeks after FG, it really helps the clarity, colder is better.

Another thing you can consider is the use of fining agents after primary fermentation is done. There are many out there such as gelatin, isinglass and polyclar. I can't remember what its called, but there is something mentioned in Palmers How to Brew that works well in conjuction with polyclar.

My understanding is with the use of these types of fining agents most of the yeast can settle out so repitching at bottling time or force carbonating in a keg may be necessary to achieve proper carbonation.

At this point time is your friend also letting the beer warm will help with the haze. The haze is from proteins that precipitated from the crystal malt. Also I would not step until a boil I'm not sure if that will cause haze but I do know it can cause tannin extraction. Next brew also add Irish moss / whilrfloc to get a better cold break. If you secondary you could also try gelatin.

1 week primary typically isn't enough to hit FG,let alone time to settle out clear or slightly misty. More time in primary can help this quite a bit. I leave mine in primary till FG is reached. Then 3-7 days after that to settle out clear or slightly misty. They usually clear up in the first few days of being bottled.

Back