Are you allergic to onions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you allergic to onions?

• Nope!

• I am definitly allergic.

• I hate onions so I tell the pizza guy I'm allergic.

• I hate onions, but don't say that I'm allergic. That's crazy!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ayurveda forbids onions and garlic for Brahmins, so basically Hare ******* cooking while being vegetarian also has no onions or garlic. They say it clouds the mind, but I think the reality is that it makes people fart while they are meditating.

My sister in law is 'lactose intolerant'.

Unless its chocolate milk, or ice cream...

Consensus: people make **** up all the time to justify their actions/decisions.

Actually I'm lactose intolerant too. It's odd how sometimes milk that's cooked, or processed with other things effects me differently. I can handle half and half in a cream sauce, as well as good ice cream. I don't drink any type of milk by itself, so I don't know how chocolate milk would impact me. I'd rather not risk what it does to me just to find out. Basically, any milk that's not heated enough (the sauce is heated to thicken, and ice cream custard/base is also cooked) gives me a nasty case of the splats. That's something that it only takes a few happenings to know you want to avoid it at all costs. I even get my hot coffee drinks made with skim. Not doing so gives the effect listed above...

If you had the same thing happen to you, with the same variables, you wouldn't call it 'made up'...

Just my $0.10 worth of TP...

I have mild intolerance to milk, basically more than a cup in an hour makes me feel bad but some half and half in coffee or a cream sauce doesn't bother me.

I'm pretty sure I remember an episode of "Good Eats" where Alton was talking about some of the proteins in milk breaking down when heated. Makes sense to me that cooked milk might impact someone differently than uncooked milk.

Ayurveda forbids onions and garlic for Brahmins, so basically Hare ******* cooking while being vegetarian also has no onions or garlic. They say it clouds the mind, but I think the reality is that it makes people fart while they are meditating.

Hare ******* still exists?:drunk:

Plus, I thought they were weird before, now that I know that they can't eat onion and garlic, holy S*&t. Why live?

I'm a bit lactose intolerant myself. When I was a kid I could hardly eat anything (I missed a lot of school for "intestinal issues" before we figured it out). Now, I basically can't handle straight-up milk. I never thought about the cooked/uncooked aspect. I can eat cheese (in moderation), I can have a bit of ice cream (in moderation), but a glass of milk or cereal with milk and it's several hours staying close to the sh!tter.

I have other intestinal issues as well. If I have more than about 2 unfiltered beers in a night, I have similar intestinal distress. Even after several years of almost daily homebrew consumption. My body never "got used to it" like is so oft preached around here. So I filter my beer now! And have to save hefes for days of moderation. And, yes, I have to be careful with commercial beer as well. Luckily, more breweries filter than a lot of folks like to think.

But I've NEVER said I was "deathly allergic" to something just to try and "manage" retard-McMinimum-wage.

onions, onions, you been eatin' onions... better stop eatin' them onions, onions, onions...

anyone else ever heard that song?

I'll ask my co-workers but I'm not aware of Hindu's having an issue with onion and garlic. Nor am I aware of main-stream Hindus hanging out in airports looking for converts/handouts.
That was just a bunch of hippie wannabees in the 70's.:fro:

I'll ask my co-workers but I'm not aware of Hindu's having an issue with onion and garlic. Nor am I aware of main-stream Hindus hanging out in airports looking for converts/handouts.
That was just a bunch of hippie wannabees in the 70's.:fro:

Yeah well it's easy to google, so I'll not do it for you.

Ask them about Ayurvedic cookery and Brahmins, maybe you'll learn something you weren't aware of.

I know this is a very old post, but after coming across it and seeing no one else allergic onions, had to post about it. I am very allergic onions and garlic, both being from the same family. I ate them for YEARS .... then poof suddenly my face would swell, as well as my throat. It has to be one of the worst allergies out there since everything has onions , onion powder, or garlic in it. There's nothing like a good beer with some wings and onions rings.. ahh how do I ever miss them!

I know this is a very old post, but after coming across it and seeing no one else allergic onions, had to post about it. I am very allergic onions and garlic, both being from the same family. I ate them for YEARS .... then poof suddenly my face would swell, as well as my throat. It has to be one of the worst allergies out there since everything has onions , onion powder, or garlic in it. There's nothing like a good beer with some wings and onions rings.. ahh how do I ever miss them!

That really sucks ass... Most things I make I use some form of garlic in. Including refried beans. mmmmm beans... Need to make a new batch either today or tomorrow... Plan on having some before heading over to my sister/mother's place for my niece's graduation party... Yeah, I'm evil... :D

Back