Bittering hops vs aroma hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DukeBrew

Reaction score
Just started my second batch ever using a kit to make a red which in this kit only calls for bitter hops and aroma hops both of which were sold in the same type of packaging when opening I noticed the hops were different and one had a stronger hops smell than the other I figured that was the bitter am I right wrong or does it make a difference?

The recipe is important...

A specific hop variety is not bittering or flavor/aroma. Some are more often used for one than the other, but any variety can be used for any purpose.

With regards to a recipe, however, the amount of hops and the Alpha Acid percentage AND the length of the boil determine how much bittering you get (IBUs). The amount of hops and length of boil (shorter is more) determines how much flavor and aroms you get. (Note that other things affect both qualities, but this is simplified).

It sounds as though you had Willamette for both bittering and flavor/aroma. This is fine. They were probably 1oz packages and if your recipe called for 1oz additions you'll be A-OK. If the recipe showed 1.5 oz and 0.5 oz additions, you'll be either too bitter or too sweet, resulting in an out of balance beer.

Latest posts

Back