Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWavs

Reaction score
I bought a turkey fryer so I could do some of my brewing outdoors if I wanted. I have read that you need to boil water in the aluminum pot before using it for the first time. Is this a one time thing or does it have to be done periodically? How long should I boil the water?...15 minutes?

Thanks!

15 minutes is more than enough time. Really, all you have to do is just get it to boil. When cleaning, don't scrub off the black layer that forms on the inside. Just use a rag and clean it normally.

Just dying waiting for my first ever batch... and already thinking too far ahead. I have a turkey fryer as well, new and unused. These will bring water to a boil even in the dead of winter?

If it does... probably great to do this outside in the winter since it'd cool off quickly I'd think.

Just dying waiting for my first ever batch... and already thinking too far ahead. I have a turkey fryer as well, new and unused. These will bring water to a boil even in the dead of winter?

If it does... probably great to do this outside in the winter since it'd cool off quickly I'd think.

I have got my oil hot enough to fry turkeys (WAY hotter than 212, lol) in 35 degrees outside. They'll boil your wort for sure.

Have fun!

you don't have to do it periodically, just be sure not to scrub off that layer of oxidation inside the pot once you have it established.

remember, you don't need to sanitize the pot after using it. just remove any solid debris, dry, and store. the pot will sanitize itself every time you bring it up to boiling temperatures.

I did mine a couple of days ago.. it turned out black.. but there were a hundred pinhead sized white dots in the black.. just like looking at the sky on a black night :) They will probably oxidize over in time. Be sure to clean the inside of the pot well before the boiling process.. I'd guess there is a micro layer of forming oil on the inside. Little bit of dish soap in a quart or three of hot water.. scrub the pot and rinse well.. then proceed to the oxide creating boil.

Latest posts

Back