The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was from a couple weeks ago. We just used our oven at 450 degrees on the middle rack. Baked the pizzas for 10 minutes then sprinkled mozzarella on for another 10 minutes. Turned out pretty good. We received a 14" pizza stone yesterday and made 5 pizzas last night. The crust was definitely more crispy. Unfortunately, no pictures. My wife makes all the pizza crust from a recipe she found. I'll definitely start following this thread and uploading more pics.

Pizza.jpeg

With the steel, what about heating it on broil or 550 about 6 inches below the top. Then cooking the pizza on it after its preheated, using the broiler?

I think that is ideal. My oven is gas powered, with the broiler tray. Not ideal. I've tried cooking down on the tray but it was very inconsistent. So much so that I didn't try to hone in on a better bake.

This was from a couple weeks ago. We just used our oven at 450 degrees on the middle rack. Baked the pizzas for 10 minutes then sprinkled mozzarella on for another 10 minutes. Turned out pretty good. We received a 14" pizza stone yesterday and made 5 pizzas last night. The crust was definitely more crispy. Unfortunately, no pictures. My wife makes all the pizza crust from a recipe she found. I'll definitely start following this thread and uploading more pics.

Good start IMO! Looks great to me!

Cooked these on my kamado joe. Turned out really good.

The one with the arugula on it has mascarpone cheese instead of sauce. Its amazing.

What's the best way for sliced tomatoes? Would it best to partially dehydrate them first?

Revin' up a Tiga for tomorrow. Going to make some classic New Yorkers... which I may or may not dip in Ranch on Friday night.

I wouldn't "dehydrate" them any more than draining on a paper towel if they're very juicy.

+1. I like them sitting on top of the cheese, but under the cheese they are good too, more stewed. I also like them with lettuce, and sour cream on top of taco pizza.

What's the best way for sliced tomatoes? Would it best to partially dehydrate them first?

I slice them thin, then put them on a double layer of paper towels. Top with another double layer and gently press them. I try to do this first and let them sit while doing other things. I try to shake out the goop that is left.

I do this for sandwiches when I pack lunches, too. It gets a lot of the water out - winter tomatoes seem to need a lot more effort than summer/homegrown!

here we go again, Thursday night is pizza night, onion, sausage, peppered dry salami, Vermont smoked pepperoni, bell peppers, olives, ham, mozz, parm and a touch of smoked pepper jack... one of the pie is half this mixture and the other half buffalo chicken on blue cheese dressing and same cheese mixture (son's request)

2016-10-27 18.03.02.jpg

2016-10-27 18.20.53.jpg

2016-10-27 18.18.36.jpg

2016-10-27 18.27.59.jpg

2016-10-27 18.28.10.jpg

2016-10-27 18.34.55.jpg

Made 5 pies last night. Didnt get any photos. Unfortunately, on guys night theres copious amounts of beer consumed AND 10 ravenous dudes dont really give you much time to take a photo

Pie 1: Meat Lovers (sausage, bacon, pepperoni)
Pie 2: Italian; grilled chicken, mozz, fresh basil and tomatoes with crispy procioutto
Pie 3: BBQ chicken; homemade BBQ sauce, grilled chicken, black beans, cilantro, onions, olives
Pie 4: Taco Pizza; marinated pollo asada, mexican shredded cheese, black beans, cilantro, onions, topped with fresh salsa and avo's
Pie 5: Everything; bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, etc

Anyone here try out the PizzaCue BBQ kit? My brother is trying to get me on board to buy one for our dad for Christmas, but I'm skeptical. Here's a link:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/PizzaQue-P...j36qTaBh6m1RqlMpfltMwaAqQ18P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

That's one of the cheaper ones, but they can go as high as $200. Thoughts?

I've never seen one before but I do put my stone on the grill and cook pizzas some times. I watched the videos and it looks like it worked well, but I am skeptical too.

Considering it costs almost as much as a basic 22" Weber Kettle Grill, I'm not sure it's worth the money. But it could be a fun gift and it does look to me like it might make using the grill for pizzas a bit easier. They make a propane pizza oven too that may be better. The Blackstone pizza oven is pretty popular and produces good results from what I have seen, but its $300.

What technique did you use?

Pretty basic New York dough recipe. Used a Tiga that went for about 16 hours before making dough and then let dough rise about 48 hours at 36F. 380g dough balls. Flour was King Arthur Unbleached Bread. Used about 10g of diastatic malt. Oven was convection electric at about 550F. About 5 minutes on 3/8" steel top shelf and finished for about four minutes on bottom shelf stone.

How long are you pre-heating? 5 minutes could never happen on my steel... I think I liked making pizza more before I started thinking about it. You guys have ruined my life.
...cheers.

How long are you pre-heating? 5 minutes could never happen on my steel... I think I liked making pizza more before I started thinking about it. You guys have ruined my life.
...cheers.

I preheat for about 30-45 minutes. It's not 5 minutes total though! I'm doing 5 on the steel and then moving below for another 4 or so on a hot stone (cause i haven't coughed for a 2nd steel yet). Moving to the second hot surface half way through crisps it up real nice like.

Semi-off topic. Anyone here ever made khachapuri? Looks like an awesome dish! May have to make one tomorrow

Back